GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

UrbanRacer.Com's exclusive scoop on the GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:13 AM
spt
GTR Senior Member

UrbanRacer.Com's exclusive scoop on the GT-R

The following is an interview with Nissan's Senior VP of Design - Shiro Nakamura

Source: UrbanRacer.com

------------------------------------------------

UR: OK, everybody – I mean EVERYBODY - is waiting to see or hear about the next Skyline GT-R. What can you tell us about it?

SN: Well, Mr. Ghosn promised the world a new GT-R in 2007 and we are working to fulfill that promise.

UR: When you unveiled the Nissan Micra and the 350Z – you talked about the 350Z-ness or Micra-ness characteristics of the cars. What are the characteristics of a GT-R?

SN: Top level performance, highest technology, outstanding design, unique presence – having a GT-R aura. It’ll be nothing like a G35 or a Z – it’s really has strong performance. Nothing like any other sports car. Also it’s masculine.

UR: What about the design – is there a GT-R heritage? Which studio is heading the design?

SN: Yes we want to maintain it. When somebody removes the GT-R badges, I want people to recognize that it’s a GT-R. It will have some key heritage features. Our Japanese studio is designing the car.

UR: What about the engine or drivetrain? Will it be turbo six or V8-powered?

SN: I think four-wheel drive since the previous generation had four-wheel drive. I think that when you want high tech performance, two wheel drive might not be good enough. This will be a Japanese high tech performance car. As far as the engine, we haven’t announced it yet, but we will pick the engine best suited for the chassis.

UR: So you are developing the GT-R right now? Are there running prototypes?

SN: Yes. The design is almost, almost done. We only have two and a half years to come, so quite soon we might finalize. Normally, it we finish final design two years before launch so we might finalize this year. Yes, there are running mules.

UR: Okay, you’re killing us. Can you give us more?

SN: We don’t want to make it to expensive. The previous GT-R I think was about $60,000, but the previous generation’s interior quality was not as high when you compare to the performance side. And the new GT-R will have higher level of performance. Anyways, I think it will have a “good price”. Not as low as the previous GT-R, but not as high as $100,000. I think it will be a bargain compared with other European competitors. It will have outstanding performance, design, and quality.

UR: Soo, are we talking about 500 hp?

SN: We have not announced horsepower figures yet, but I think 500 hp is too high. There are serious tax issues in certain countries for that kind of horsepower.

UR: Will it wear an Infiniti or a Nissan badge in the U.S.?

SN: There are serious discussions right now as to what it would be badged as in the U.S. Because there is no heritage of the GT-R in the U.S., there are pluses and
minuses for both cases. The GT-R has its own identity – maybe even higher than Nissan. Anyways, we have not decided yet.

UR: We’ve read in other interviews with you that some of your personal favorite car designs include the Shelby Cobra, Porsche 911, and the ’65 Mustang – all iconic cars. What do you think will be iconic 30-40 years from now? The 350Z?

SN: Yes, I think the 350Z will be iconic. The new GT-R will be also.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:31 PM

good info thanks for the update
Old 06-08-2005, 12:52 PM
J_Z

Thanks for the update, but I think the interviewee was pretty well politician-esque in skirting the issue and putting up a pretty thick smokescreen. I mean, what kind of real info was there...yes there're test mules, yes Nissan Jpn was doing the design, yes it will look like a GTR...tell us something we don't know Shiro!
Old 06-08-2005, 07:19 PM
spt
GTR Senior Member

I think the most important thing to remember about this release is, a Nissan VP working on the GTR project is giving us information about the car. I know it's not specific but it does help confirm some of the rumors we've been hearing.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:22 AM

all sounds good as the way he comes across is that they understand what a GTR is and means to people, they seem to realise that they are replacing a legend so it has to be done in the right way