GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

Nissan GT-R Proto Concept

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 02:23 PM
GTR Senior Member

After the GT-R Concept unveiled at the 35th Tokyo Motor Show in 2001, Nissan presents the GT-R PROTO, a vision of the next production model that will be on sale in 2007.

Exterior design

The design of the GT-R PROTO expresses GT-R heritage, coming from the first model PGC10 (1969) through R34 (1999), in a new and expressive form.

From its original roots as a pure-bred Japanese performance car, the new GT-R will now be a car sold globally, recognising its ability to compete with the very best in the world. For the first time in its history, the new GT-R will be designed as a specific body-style, and not derived from a sedan.

The form of the GT-R PROTO instantly expresses its purpose and potential, but in a way that is unique to this iconic car.

At the front end, the single centre air intake is designed to optimise airflow and to strongly link the identity of the GT-R from R34 to GT-R Concept (2001). Front fenders are uniquely designed through intensive analysis of the airflow around the tyres and the air vent behind the front fender also optimises aerodynamics. The sides of the body are sculptured towards the rear fender, expressing the power and dynamic tension of the car.

The overall shape of the body combines solid and smooth surfaces. The unique C-pillar crease is designed for optimum aerodynamics, reflecting the racing DNA of the GT-R.

The rear of the GT-R PROTO is strong and defined. The signature four ring-shaped tail lamps provide an immediate visual link to previous GT-R models. Four large-bore exhaust pipes complete the purposeful look.

The GT-R PROTO provides for the first time a clear indication of the final design direction for the production model to be launched in 2007, the first all-new GT-R in eight years.

(Source: Nissan)
Attached Thumbnails Nissan GT-R Proto Concept-nissan-gtr-proto-concept-mid-1.jpg   Nissan GT-R Proto Concept-nissan-gtr-proto-concept-2-mid.jpg  
Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 AM

As bonzelite posted in another thread, the GT-R proto does show its roots in the 2001 GTR concept.

I like the looks of the proto, but it seems to me that a rendering always looks more sleek and sexier than the car itself. I am hoping that the real proto will not come up too short of the rendering.

Is that a rear spoiler on the proto? Hard to tell if that is a rear lip or a spoiler. If it is a spoiler then it is certainly less noticeable than on older GTRs. Could that mean that Nissan would have a spoiler that would deploy at a given speed?

I have heard lots of talk about a sequential shift on the new GTR. Would that mean a manual shift would not be available?

Looking forward to the TMS to , hopefully, find answers.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:12 PM
GTR Senior Member

yes, there are rumors from sequential paddle shifting, to 7 speeds, to a retractable wing a la Porsche. the concept sketch is vague on purpose. they do not want to give away the baby. i do like the looks of that sketch, though, as well as the first proto design. that is a car i can get ga ga over pretty quick. it carries the heritage forward, indeed.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:36 PM

but the car is too ahead of our time...dont you think....it looks way too futuristic plus a car that looks that good, only idiots would modify that thing, it looks more like a luxury sports car....but about 5 years from now
Old 10-19-2005, 08:29 AM

Talk of SMG, no doubt to handle the exessive power I'd think.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the front end, looks too much like the Z with an aftermarket bumper to me. The rear is pretty sexy though!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:53 AM

Talk of SMG, no doubt to handle the exessive power I'd think.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the front end, looks too much like the Z with an aftermarket bumper to me. The rear is pretty sexy though!
I agree completely and really think that nissan is pushing it a bit further in time with the desidn of this Beauty. It really look like more like luxory sport car and it is one but acording to me they should make it more like ordinary car in order to stimulate the imagination of the owners and make them shape their GTR like they want. With this marvelous outlook I can't see place for a lot of aftermarket stuff

I really love the *** of that baby
Old 10-19-2005, 12:51 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by lightwizard
I agree completely and really think that nissan is pushing it a bit further in time with the desidn of this Beauty. It really look like more like luxory sport car and it is one but acording to me they should make it more like ordinary car in order to stimulate the imagination of the owners and make them shape their GTR like they want. With this marvelous outlook I can't see place for a lot of aftermarket stuff

I really love the *** of that baby
the car was always going to be a luxury sports car. i don't understand your confusion about that. the market and price for the car was never for the tuner crowd initially. just like Lexus, for example, was not intended for the tuner crowd, but is now seen being tuned (VIP style, for example).

Nissan is introducing a new level to their image and products. they intended from the very beginning to have the new GTR be on a Porsche level of performance and value. this has been said in print interviews and in Best Motoring videos for years.

this is not any longer the WRX or Evo level. the price of membership just went up. it must begin somewhere -- as Infinity, years ago, carved a new luxury niche within Nissan, they are ramping up the program again and beginning their foray into the luxury sport niche. and this is what you get: GT-R.

the elegance and sophistication of the new GT-R, as it is not as "raw" or "tunable" looking as the R-series GT-Rs, is because they are under the philosophy of european design principles.

for example,Porsche is tunable, of course, but overall you will not change the outward appearance of that car much. it doesn't really need altering. same with Ferrari or Maserati or Aston Martin: they are all a complete statement withhout need of much tampering. they are designed from the ground up based on pure sports car platforms. the designers have free reign to completely design a car body and platform as a 2-door right away.

beforehand, the GT-R was adapted from basic Skyline sedan platforms and then offered as special AWD, AWS, turbo versions. that would be offered as the more limited in numbers "GTR." this principle has now been abandoned. today, and into the future, the GT-R is its own thing --it is not adapted from anything. it is designed from day one to be in it's own class, performance and design-wise. a Porsche 996 is not adapted from a sedan platform or chassis. a Viper was never adapted from a sedan platform or chassis. do you have any idea how much a Viper costs? and it is "only" a Dodge?! it is an american car from ---Dodge. you think of Dodge minivan, right? or Dodge Dart? think again: the Viper costs around $80,000. does Chrysler need to apologize for that?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:34 AM

Bonzelite,

Yes, well said, the GT-R is going toward a luxury sport car. Wonder how many GT-Rs Nissan is expecting to sell globally, when this car comes out.

The first year will be wild as lots of people will be wanting one. It will be interesting to see what happens after that, what will the demand be like in the second year, etc. Hope that the dealerships refrain from the usual ADP on this car and just sell it for the MSRP.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:02 PM
GTR Senior Member

here is my take on it:

the car is a legend with racing pedigree and heritage. it will not slump. some markets will be warmer than others. they already know this. and they must see which global markets take hold. some will not. but the staple GTR crowd, who has already been there for decades, is solid as the rock of gibraltar. the GTR is already successful and it does not need to be proven to be successful again. it has been around since the late 1960s as a concept and national icon of power.

will it be as massively successful in moscow, south africa, ontario, malysia, or lincoln, nebraska as it has been in new zealand, australia and japan? who knows. but any more market penetration will only make the GTR MORE successful than it already is.

this is my opinion.

will the GTR be a flop after all the ribbon cutting and champagne? no. will it affect all markets the same? probably not. will it continue as the baddest a$$ icon of mythology, mystery, and legend as a supercar? yes.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:40 AM

10x for clearing the things for me bonzelite. I really don't like porshes a lot and there is almost no visual combarison between the look of the new GT-R and a porshe, But i think that this GT-R is level up from the porshes and reaches the level of the others you mentioned (Ferrari or Maserati or Aston Martin and lamborghini(my favourite)) and if it comes with more than 500 hp out of the factory as i heard in another Thread, it will be another proof for our words.

And do u have a clue about the aproximate price of the beauty?

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R Proto Concept