GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

Nissan considering voiding warranty on second-owner GT-Rs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:44 AM
fjs

Nissan considering voiding warranty on second-owner GT-Rs

Hope it's not a repost, if it is, go easy on me, first post here Anyways, I think this is a pretty good idea to prevent some flippers going crazy on ebay. Too bad they can't prevent the dealers from charging over msrp

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-c...ner-gt-rs.html

[FONT='Lucida Grande', Helvetica, Arial, Tahoma, sans-serif][FONT='Lucida Grande', Helvetica, Arial, Tahoma, sans-serif]Nissan[/FONT][/FONT] is considering voiding the warranty on its upcoming GT-R if the car exchanges hands during the first year it is on the road. There is already a long waiting list for the super-coupe, including many people who intend to sell the car as soon as they take delivery, making a premium over the sticker price. Nissan is considering the move in order to prevent, or at least limit, this from happening.

"That's the route we're looking at," said Scott Vazin, Nissan's director of product public relations. "A warranty decision will be made before the Tokyo auto show." The
GT-R is expected to be priced near $70,000 when it hits dealer showrooms.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 AM

I hope they do it!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:12 AM

good...bravo nissan...this should prevent people selling it for atmospherically high prices
Old 10-18-2007, 12:49 PM
spt
GTR Senior Member

I think it should be done for all cars. It makes me mad to think that people who actually want the car have to wait in line behind people who are more interested in turning a profit (who also don't care about the car).
Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 AM
fjs

Looks like Nissan is not going to do anything afterall My guess is $30k over will be the norm

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gt-r-pri...s-control.html

With the long-await Nissan GT-R finally making it to U.S. shores next June, it's a sure bet that initial demand will far out weigh supply. If we remember back to economics class, this means that the GT-R will sell for more than the $70,000 put on the window sticker by Nissan. So what can Nissan do to stop the price gouging? Nothing.

Nissan was considering voiding the warranty of any GT-R resold in its first 12 months on the road, but has since abandoned that idea. "We've talked about ways to stop eBay sales by restricting the transfer of the new car warranty to the next buyer for at least six months," said Eric Anderson, Nissan's North Central Region vice president. "But we gave up on that idea because it would have been unfair to the guy who found he really had to sell his car sooner."

Anderson continued by saying there is nothing Nissan can do about deal markups — which are expected to be at leas $15,000 — either. "We'll counsel dealers on why they shouldn't, but there's no way we can stop them from doing it," Anderson said. Price-fixing laws make it illegal for Nissan to tell its dealers what to charge for a vehicle.
Any of Nissan's 1,070 U.S. dealers can apply to sell the GT-R, although not all will be authorized to sell it. Those that are chosen will have to spend extra money on equipment and training to service the extremely high-tech sports coupe.
Only 1,500 GT-Rs have been allotted for the U.S. during its first year, so demand is sure to be strong — from Nissan dealers to individual customers.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 PM
GTR Senior Member

this doesn't seem particularly fair, it's too bad that they can't control their own dealers and products,

i guess the same thing happens for the release of new game systems (ps3)
Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 PM
GTR Senior Member

they need to control their own dealer first.