GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

More GTR Infinity Sedan Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:31 PM
GTR Senior Member

More GTR Infinity Sedan Rumors

from leftlane:

what do you guys think?

i think that if they want to do this, they need a performance division (brand) similar to bmw M, or mercedes amg

In February, rumors broke that Nissan was considering building a four-door car based on the GT-R platform for its Infiniti luxury brand. Such a move would certainly please Infiniti dealers, who had been hoping the GT-R coupe would be badged as an Infiniti. Nissan executives have downplayed the speculation, but rumors resurfaced this week in the Japanese auto press, warranting a second look.
The August issue of Japan’s Car Top magazine is claiming the sedan project is on track for a 2011 launch. The majority of the R35 GT-R’s features are said to be planned for the sedan, including its 480 horsepower twin-turbo V6, all-wheel drive system, and rear-mounted dual-clutch transmission.
Such a sedan would likely be marketed as a “four-door coupe,” and in this case the title would probably be more appropriate than ever.
Rumors began five months ago when Motor Trend reported the Front Midship (FM) architecture would be adapted for an Infiniti four-door. According to the report, the platform has to be changed so much to accommodate two more doors and a usable backseat that Nissan refers to the Infiniti-badged GT-R’s platform internally as Premium Midship (PM).
If the four-door Infiniti version of the GT-R gets the green light, look for it to command a $3,000 to $5,000 premium over the Nissan version. The Infiniti version of the GT-R would also give the luxury marque a halo car, and allow it to compete with BMW’s M-division and Mercedes-Benz’s AMG.

link to original
Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 AM

There probably be less markup making the price about equal with two more doors and more luxury. Sign me up . Super sedan!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 AM
GTR Member

I am glad they are making a 4 door model. Shut the Cadillac fans with the fastest 4door sedan up.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:37 PM
GTR Senior Member

I am glad they are making a 4 door model. Shut the Cadillac fans with the fastest 4door sedan up.

well we'll see, i dont think that it's confirmed quite yet, it would be interesting, i'm very curious about the styling
Old 08-23-2008, 12:51 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by rmatt8748

i think that if they want to do this, they need a performance division (brand) similar to bmw M, or mercedes amg
Have had that since 1984. It's called NISMO.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:56 PM
GTR Senior Member

the article's author is a bit confused:

"Rumors began five months ago when Motor Trend reported the Front Midship (FM) architecture would be adapted for an Infiniti four-door. According to the report, the platform has to be changed so much to accommodate two more doors and a usable backseat that Nissan refers to the Infiniti-badged GT-R’s platform internally as Premium Midship (PM)..."

the PM platform already exists for the GT-R since it was created and then released in 2007.

the PM platform hasn't been "specially created" for an Infiniti version.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:55 PM
GTR Senior Member

Looks like it will be a while, infiniti says its not the right time
Link Here
Old 08-23-2008, 08:09 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by Catapult5
Looks like it will be a while, infiniti says its not the right time
Link Here
those are some damn ugly as sin wheels they photoshopped on there. yuck.

they cite earnings being down and the latest economic downturn as the main culprit for shelving the project. And they're correct to do so.

But this is nothing yet. The economy is headed for a depression. Before long we will see widespread deflation of prices across the board for luxury items as the US dollar hits the floor.

This accounts, too, for the beginning of the end of automotive leasing programs. Chrysler has already suspended any more leases. You must buy only. This will spread.

Start buying silver and gold. Don't buy a car.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
those are some damn ugly as sin wheels they photoshopped on there. yuck.

they cite earnings being down and the latest economic downturn as the main culprit for shelving the project. And they're correct to do so.

But this is nothing yet. The economy is headed for a depression. Before long we will see widespread deflation of prices across the board for luxury items as the US dollar hits the floor.

This accounts, too, for the beginning of the end of automotive leasing programs. Chrysler has already suspended any more leases. You must buy only. This will spread.

Start buying silver and gold. Don't buy a car.
This brings up an interesting question: How many GT-R owners are leasing versus buying their cars? Despite the tax advantages of the lease for many, I suspect most owners are buying and hope to keep it for the long haul.