GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

GT-R to get 470HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:40 PM

GT-R to get 470HP

350kW = 470HP

The production model and the GT-R Proto revealed at last year's Tokyo Motor Show will be closely connected according to design chief, Shiro Nakamura. The production version will not have some features such as the carbon fibre at the front, but overall, it will have a similar appearance.
The new 350kW-plus GT-R super-car will be released in Japan in 2007. It will be on American showroom floors in 2008 with no final decision regarding if and when the GT-R will return to Australian shores.
The original version was nicknamed "Godzilla", due to its race-winning performance, but the GT-R badge hasn't seen a new model release since the Skyline R34 began production back in 1998. Australia hasn't seen a GT-R sold locally since its controversial glory days in the Australian touring car circuit back in the early ‘90s.
Nakamura stated, during a recent Australian conference, that the new GT-R will be a stand-alone model unlike the previous GT-R, which was based on the regular Skyline.
Despite spending a long time in development, Nakamura says, the super-car will be worth the wait. The new GT-R will enjoy performance "one or two levels higher than the previous model," said Mr Nakamura.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:20 AM

Simply amazing. My hopes is that the GTR will be affordable, atleast have the price tag compairable to an M3...
Old 10-01-2006, 03:02 AM
GTR Senior Member

this will put the GTR into Corvette C6 and 997tt territory, with Nurburgring lap times to be on par with --or in excess of-- these cars. i'm guessing it will be in the $70,000 range for a base model (including tax/tag/title/destination), with paddle shifts as standard with a 6spd manual as an option. VQ3xDETT or variant (HR) has been expected for years, with the shocking surprise of a different setup yet to be seen, but highly possible.

Nismo S and R-Tune, V-Spec packages may climb the price well over $90,000, with subsequent limited edition models of N-Spec Nur (if offered) to climb over $100,000. cars to watch for insofar as performance level similarities will be more akin to Ferrari 599 GTB, Lotus Exige, Aston Martin V8 Vantage/DB9, Porsche GT3, Porsche 997tt, Corvette C6, Pagani Zonda and the like.

at least, these are my crystal ball enlightened guesses
Old 10-01-2006, 10:40 AM
spt
GTR Senior Member

I finished reading an article about the GTR in a business magazine (at of all places). They mentioned the price tag being at $85,000, but that wasn't confirmed. They do talk more about the business aspect behind the GTR and how it will Nissan's trophy to show to the world. Baically to show that they are not at the brink of bankruptcy and they can compete with higher end car companies.

I'm trying to get any info I can to give me a ball park that is a little closer then the "$50,000 - $80,000" range. As I get more info, I'll post it up.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:32 AM
GTR Senior Member

hello, ali. haven't seen you in a while. everything ok?

yes, the GTR is going to be in the Porsche buyer's demographic indeed. Nissan is raising their bar in every way to show the fiscal health of their company, as you say. the GTR will sort of usher in this idea to the world, with the GTR probably being setup for LeMans racing to increase it's international profile.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:20 PM
spt
GTR Senior Member

I'm cool. Just been busy with track events (trying to get into Nasa TT) and busy with site stuff. I hope the gtr project is going okay.

That would be interesting if they do have the GTR in LeMans. Maybe it'll lead the way to other versions of the GTR. Lighter with more power and more aggressive areo package that can be used on the track.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:25 PM
GTR Senior Member

GTR is still in pieces in the garage. i'm working on the VR-4 right now. i see you have a 996. cool. which car are you racing in Nasa?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:40 PM
spt
GTR Senior Member

Evo. I've got to get my AWD turbo fix before the gtr gets here.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:42 PM
BMo

I, like everyone, am getting psyched! For me the choice will likely be between a 996TT and GT-R. If the Nissan wins the performance battles then they get the nod (which is what I hope/expect).
Old 11-02-2006, 06:42 PM

got a couple of years to save for one of these bad boys

Quick Reply: GT-R to get 470HP