GTRForums News & Rumors Check this forum for the latest news in the GTR community and rumors about existing and future Skyline GTR models.

2009 Nissan GT-R on a Chassis Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:46 AM
GTR Senior Member

2009 Nissan GT-R on a Chassis Dyno

First Test of the 2009 Nissan GT-R on a Chassis Dyno
2009 Nissan GT-R: Dyno Testing Godzilla

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=125172?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*

3rd gear....
When the computer finishes crunching the numbers, the data tells us that the 2009 Nissan GT-R is putting out 406 hp at 6,400 rpm and 414 lb-ft of torque at 3,800 rpm. Once you factor in the parasitic losses of the all-wheel-drive system, these numbers are wholly in line with Nissan's claim for the engine's power at the crankshaft. During one pull, the horsepower perked up to 414 hp, but it wasn't repeatable and torque production through the midrange suffered.
Despite our problems, the two good runs on the Dynapack verify our testing with the Mustang dyno. According to the Dynapack, the output of the Nissan GT-R's V6 peaks at 452 hp at 6,350 rpm and 448 lb-ft of torque at 3,865 rpm. These higher numbers are due partially to the elimination of the tires, and the rest comes from internal variations in the way power is calculated by the Dynapack. The result vividly demonstrates why comparing results from different cars on different dynos leads to diabolical confusion.

Last edited by mindlessoath; 03-13-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 AM
GTR Senior Member

A ps (Pferdestaerke) is 0.986 horsepower.

A Nissan spokesperson at the Geneva Autoshow confirm me that the 480ps are "at the wheels". At the crank the engine produces "at least 520ps".
520ps is about ~513hp

Have a look in the pinned thread "GT-R Lineupand Specifications" in the fine print down the bottom of the brochure it says this about the quoted power figure from Nissan Japan (480PS Horsepower):

"The engine power output values indicated in this catalog are all net power output values.
Engine power output can be indicated as 'Net power output' or 'Gross power output'. 'Gross' values are estimations of power output of the engine alone. 'Net' values are estimations of when the engine is assembled onto the vehicle. For estimations of the same gasoline engines, 'Net' values are approximately 15% lower than 'Gross' values according to JAMA research. "

Manufacturers use net hp to mean with all ancillaries attached i.e. intake, exhaust, alternator and accessories that would be attached when the engine is in the car. This is how SAE rates the engine. It is still measured at the crank. In the past engines were tested without these things attached and that was gross hp. It appears that Nissan understated the actual engine output but I wanted to clear up the difference between net hp and wheel hp as it is used by manufacturers.

-Stock GT-R Dynos at 460 awhp
http://2009gtr.blogspot.com/2008/03/jspec-connect-r35-gt-r-on-dyno.html
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=57282.0
http://2009gtr.blogspot.com/2008/03/r35-gt-r-on-dyno-results-rre.html
NOTES: i dont know what gear this was done in, but it still has the limiter. I know this is the GT-R imported from japan and its probably using 93 octain.

-482 ps (475 hp) and 59.2 kg/m (428 ft-lbs) at the hubs.
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/149571/blog/c227132/
NOTES: Results will be printed in the 12/25 issue of Bestcar. Also said that the limiter came on in 4th gear so there should be more potential.

-480 PS (473bhp) (353 kW) at 6400rpm
We decided to try out BP Ultimate 102 unleaded, (which is still pump fuel).... 520 bhp @ 6,617
wheel bhp using ultimate 102 unleaded - 457.7bhp @ 6,507rpm

-419 HP 416 ft-lbs
http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/?p=212
NOTES: a) We use a Mustang AWD dyno b) Runs were made in 3rd gear due to the speed limiter coming on in 4th. c) We’re at ~4000 ft altitude here in SLC d) A 50/50 mix of 91 octane and 100 octane was used

A dyno is a tool. Thats it. Take all the numbers off any dyno with a grain of salt. To me +/- 20% or 30% is not off depending on the dyno, whos using it, the correction, etc. They are just numbers.

Dyno numbers- are JUST NUMBERS. SO DO NOT RACE DYNOS.

Remember these cars and these numbers were all done in 3rd gear because of the speed limiter.

The R35 GT-R makes about 520ps-550ps engine horsepower. Thats the number it takes a 3825.6 lb car to be faster than a lighter 997 Turbo.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 AM
GTR Senior Member

things are getting pretty serious

interesting info, thanks man
Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 AM
GTRForums Staff

A note for non connected dynos like the one pictured. With this transmission type, and some modern cars in general, the power and transmission can dial back when it sense differentials in front vs rear wheel speeds. We noted this on the new Evo X MR when we did a dyno test showing significantly less than the standard transmission car. The manufacturer tells us it has to be dynoed on a connected roller dyno.

Also, you can get massive differences on the same car using different dynos or different correction factors. A mustang will show far less than a dynojet for example
Old 03-13-2008, 08:10 PM
GTR Senior Member

yeah, i wish that they were more standardized

i feel like they should be, but that there are so many variables

then add in the day to day differences and car gearing
Old 03-13-2008, 08:33 PM
GTR Senior Member

Even though a dyno result will vary on conditions, and the stories will conflict from run to run, machine to machine, it's clear that the HP rating being used by Nissan for the R35 is not the net HP but is actually closer if not exactly for the power at the wheels, a rating almost never used in HP nomenclature.

The R35 is making more like 520HP net, quite beyond what the usual ratings have lead most to believe.

I'm wondering with the promise of weight reduction for the V Spec how much of this power will be liberated and further usable and not lost to friction and weight.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 PM
GTR Senior Member

did they just underestimate it so it would be closer to the 997 911 turbo output for magazine comparison..

sure it weighs a lot more.. so they cheated? (in effect)
Old 03-13-2008, 08:42 PM
GTR Senior Member

I think they did it for the enhanced wow factor. Everywhere you heard "wow, how does that fat car do that? it defies the laws of physics..." like that.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by mindlessoath
A dyno is a tool. Thats it. Take all the numbers off any dyno with a grain of salt. To me +/- 20% or 30% is not off depending on the dyno, whos using it, the correction, etc. They are just numbers.

Dyno numbers- are JUST NUMBERS. SO DO NOT RACE DYNOS.

Remember these cars and these numbers were all done in 3rd gear because of the speed limiter.

The R35 GT-R makes about 520ps-550ps engine horsepower. Thats the number it takes a 3825.6 lb car to be faster than a lighter 997 Turbo.

100% agree. Dyno's are best used to compare changes you've made on a car. Using the same dyno as a baseline and test runs to measure the difference. I personally have had my car put down 301.9 awhp and the same day with the same tank of gas put down 378.3 awhp on a different dyno. Of course the first one was a Mustang and the other was a Dynojet, so it was like apples to oranges anyway. But it just proves you can't rely too much on what numbers someone posts.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:35 PM
GTR Senior Member

Each car is gonna come up different number so let cross our finger for the better

Quick Reply: 2009 Nissan GT-R on a Chassis Dyno