General General forums for the GTR community.

Will the GT-R Fail?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 AM

Will the GT-R Fail?

All- This is my first post on the board...I have followed the development and introduction of the GT-R for the last year. Much of the speculation, reviews and information are all very favorable....

Today I ran across something on speedsportlife.com that was vastly different then anything I have read before...I feel that the writer has some very valid points and arguments and I wanted to see what perspective GTR owners or fans might think about this....

Again, this is not intent to flame or troll...rather, I am very interested to here some constructive thoughts and feedback on the article....

Thanks

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2008/0...e-mighty-gt-r/
Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 PM
GTRForums Staff

Well, I obviously disagree, but it is refreshing to see a well written different take on it. A few years back I would have been much more inclined to consider his viewpoint as a serious possibility, and even still there are particular arguments he makes that could come true.

I believe I would have completely agreed with him if this were the r33/34 and they were going to bring that over back then, but that was a different car at a different time.

The standing question to me is will the GTR in and of itself be profitable or break even. Nissan is selling it here for a seemingly cheap price especially compared to some markets. And the volume probably does not make for big profit numbers. That said, I do rely feel that the silver lining will be a more solid outlook on Nissan as a valid producers of sports cars and sedans and boost those sales accordingly. Only time will tell, but given the seemingly warm welcome it is receiving, I would guess at very least it would not turn out to be a huge mistake as the writer predicts
Old 02-22-2008, 04:40 PM

I think he makes a lot of valid points in the article. I like how he finished off by saying that the buyers of the car won't be disappointed, and he never bagged on the car itself really, just the idea of selling it here and how it will do here. I don't think there's any disputing that it'll be a great car for a great price, but will it sell? I guess time will tell...
Old 02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
GTR Senior Member

Good post. This article brings up the same point that I have spoken a little bit about on the forum...I also don't see how Nissan is going to break even on the GTR in America unless demand remains high and Nissan decides to increase the amount of vehicles alotted to the US. Time will tell...I sincerely want this car to succeed in the states.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:50 PM
GTR Member

If enough of the American GT-R owners get out there and start owning the raceways and track events the buyers will come. Americans love a bargain and if you think that brand loyalty is so prevalent then why aren't the top selling manufacturers "American" in the US.

It seems like we discredit our ability to think and reason through things. It might take a little while for the GT-R to really catch on but it will. I think that the 5k units a year is a reasonable estimation.

I know that after getting owned long enough by a Nissan in my hypothetical car that costs nearly the same (Z06/New M3) or more than double Porsche and many others, I would quickly move on and go with the best "Bang-for-the-buc". It would further irritate me if my track car was getting put into its place as well.

As for the article, I thought that it was a good read and enjoyed it greatly. He had some very interesting view points albeit I don't agree with 99% of them.

Cheers,

-Nate
Old 02-22-2008, 11:36 PM
GTR Senior Member

I don't know where to start.

True, Americans like corvettes and their quicker porsches. I wouldn't call the R35 big or fat. It clearly can hold it's own and was purpose driven from the ground up. Clearly, nissan isn't banking company success on their sale of the GTR. It will make up such a small proportion of sales that on paper it won't even matter.

Each Veyron sold was at a huge loss to the parent company VW. Still, they were sold. It was enough to generate talk. true, they were digging a lot when they went for 1001 HP, honestly, I would have been more impressed with 999, but it was the crowd they were aiming for. Cars like this are an investment. They breed stories and foster followings that cause kids to stay up at night, dreaming for the day that they can get behind the wheel.

The article mentions who the GTR targets as a potential customer. Sure it takes a shot at the video game playing crowd. It takes a blow at the 'tokyo drifters'. I wouldn't call it a well written article, but more of a colloquial ramble. At points it almost seems written just to voice a dissenting opinion. This seems to be a gamble incase the GTR does somehow fail, just so Jack, the author can then pull an epic 'i told you so.' in that sense, it seems a version of self aggrandizement. True, only time can tell.

It would be too mid-90's to say that it depends on the definition of 'failure.'

That being said, the GTR is one of the biggest stories in quick automotive news in the last few years. This is a chapter that many have only dreamed existed. It will only inspire a further love affair with imports. It will boost sales of Evo X's and the new STi. It will bolster tuner sales and the turbocharger will only further infiltrate the land of big blocks, straight pipes, burn outs, bud heavy, consumerism, and instant gratification.

-rmatt
Old 02-23-2008, 12:44 AM
GTR Senior Member

GT-R will succeed beyond wildest dreams of Nissan. It's remapping the entire performance car genre, creating it's own place among giants.

The consistent benchmarks and results from time attacks and battles already has sent gigantic shock waves across the popular media.

Nissan is winning this front of the war that every performance car must face: the forum of public opinion and perception. Even many of the long-time naysayers and haters of the R35 are being left speechless as more and more head-to-head track tests are conducted.

Nobody knows how to classify the GT-R so it's
a "failure."

They couldn't be any more wrong!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:14 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
GT-R will succeed beyond wildest dreams of Nissan. It's remapping the entire performance car genre, creating it's own place among giants.

The consistent benchmarks and results from time attacks and battles already has sent gigantic shock waves across the popular media.

Nissan is winning this front of the war that every performance car must face: the forum of public opinion and perception. Even many of the long-time naysayers and haters of the R35 are being left speechless as more and more head-to-head track tests are conducted.

a "failure."

I hope you're right!
Old 02-23-2008, 10:04 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite

a "failure."

I could not say it better myself, especially the second sentence. Nissan has changed the way Super Cars are looked at, and made, with this car. I just hope people who own Porsches, ZO6's, and Vipers will accept it one day. Of course it could be that I am just a big Skyline fan and really want it to succeed.