General General forums for the GTR community.

Why Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM
GTR Senior Member

Why Run Flats

I know that they tried thousands of wheel and tire combinations...

what is the automakers obsession with run-flat tires these days? BMW, toyota, everyone else..

does anyone else think that performance run flats seem like a weird concept?

is it to prevent crashes from blowouts?

thoughts?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 AM
GTR Member

It is to save space. No space need for spare.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:46 AM
GTR Senior Member

at the same time, the e46 m3's didn't come with run flats and instead came with a little can of tire sealant.

but for most cars, that makes sense

is there a law that requires a spare or runflat or fix kit? or just people won't leave home without it?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
GTR Member

I do not think there is legislation. I would not go anyplace though without some sort of safe guard.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 PM
GTR Senior Member

I do not think there is legislation. I would not go anyplace though without some sort of safe guard.

yeah it makes sense, being stuck high and dry would put quite a dampener on whatever you're doing

luckily i haven't had to use the little donut in my s2k, but it's better than nothing
Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 PM
GTR Senior Member

I don't quite get run flats. If you have a puncture, the runflat will stand up to it for a few more miles, right? You don't know it because the tire lasts a little longer.

Then what... it deflates later anyway and if you're out in the middle of rural Kansas, unaware you had a flat 600 miles ago, then you have no spare and you have a flat tire anyway?

Am I missing something?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned

Run Flats seem like a great concept

i think if the Tire gets flat, it should be noticable and warrant caution until it can be properly fixed
Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 PM
GTR Senior Member

I'm not denying the concept it's good traits, I don't understand how you even know if the tire is flat unless it flies apart in fragments or is blown out suddenly. Otherwise, if you have a nail or something less obvious, you could drive for thousands of miles and not know, have a flat, then have no spare tire.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 AM
GTR Member

I think that some reasons might be:

1) No spare = Less weight
2) Better power to weight ratio
3) Better 50/50 weight ratio
4) Most people have road side assist a few times over AAA type companies /Credit cards/ insurance and even some cell phone policies have road side assist written in.
5) Also more room for storage which has already been stated above.
6) Most people that purchase the types of cars with run-flats live in or near cities...

-Nate

Last edited by GTRNate; 03-05-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 AM
GTR Member

This taken directly from the Nissan GTR website.

Benefits of Ownership
The GT-R represents the most cutting-edge thinking and advancements in performance and technology from Nissan. There are also several unique benefits just for GT-R owners, including:

• Performance Optimization Services
• Complimentary Roadside Assistance
• Alternate Transportation
Performance Optimization Services
Your Nissan GT-R includes complimentary inspections for three years to assure optimum performance and to protect the vehicle's longevity and durability.

Initial inspection occurs between 600 and 1,000 miles. Following inspections occur at 12, 24 and 36 months.

Service Inspections apply to:
• Suspension and Chassis
• Brakes/Tires/Wheels
• Engine
Complimentary Roadside Assistance
For duration of the Powertrain Warranty (5 years) you enjoy the following:
• Dedicated Toll-free Telephone Number
• Emergency Roadside and Towing Service
Emergency fluid delivery, dead battery jump-starts, lockout service, minor mechanical first aid, and towing on a flatbed truck to protect your Nissan GT-R
• Trip Interruption
Emergency travel reimbursement for food, alternate transportation and lodging (if breakdown occurs more than 100 miles from your home)
• Rental Vehicle Reimbursement
Replacement vehicle reimbursement should your vehicle be held overnight while being serviced by a GT-R Certified Dealer
• Auto Valet Service
Assistance in arranging for alternate transportation or any other reasonable service to ease the inconvenience of a breakdown (rental vehicle, taxi service, hotel reservations, airline information, message relay, enhanced directory assistance)
Alternate Transportation
For duration of the Powertrain Warranty (5 years), we will provide you with alternate transportation when your vehicle is brought in for service (warranty, scheduled maintenance, required adjustments).

I know this goes a wee bit off topic but never the less Nissan sounds extremely confident in the durability of this car to offer these kinds of service. In addition should you get a flat on a run flat the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) should catch the low air pressure. Lastly if you can not eventually catch a flat, I don't think you should own a GT-R.

Quick Reply: Why Run Flats