General General forums for the GTR community.

Thinking about buying HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 AM

Thinking about buying HELP!!!

Ok, guys coming from the Corvette world and going to buy a GTR.

I recently found this one for sale and discussed with them dropping the price.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=b&make=NISSAN

I got them down to 59,500 however I live in Houston and this is in Florida.

Need your opinions!!!
1. Is this too high a price for 21 to 22k miles?
The car apparently was a build in 2008 and was bought in 2008 so the warranty is up in about 9 months.

2. Since this was built mid 08 is there anything I should look out for? Were GTRs that were built in 08 slower? Did they have more problems, kinks etc. etc.

3. One last thing, is there any buying advice you can give me that I should look out for in a GTR? Common problems that could turn into big ones?

THANKS everyone!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:31 PM

8 views and no help? Wow ....
Old 01-30-2011, 08:58 AM

35 views and no help....you GTR guys are *******s...LOL
Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fearit
35 views and no help....you GTR guys are *******s...LOL
did you end up buying? how much did you pay? is this forum dead or whaaat?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:45 PM

Yep ...the forum is crap....
Nope the car is ugly, $$$ (upfront and maintenance) and for the money you could essentially buy a ZR1 and kill this dog.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM

Yep ...the forum is crap....
Nope the car is ugly, $$$ (upfront and maintenance) and for the money you could essentially buy a ZR1 and kill this dog.
Looks are definitely questionable, but I am more into mechanics so it doesn't really matter to me. I will have to disagree with your zr1 comment. Besides, this is an awd car.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by FALCONSEYE
Looks are definitely questionable, but I am more into mechanics so it doesn't really matter to me. I will have to disagree with your zr1 comment. Besides, this is an awd car.
Im a shadetree mechanic (nothing professional mind you) but I can work on an american car no problem. From what I read on this ...it is not for the weekend grease monkey...many of the maintenance items you have to bring it in or they try to void your warranty and allot of the maintenance cost 2 to 5 k to have them do it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-PQca6FJU
Stock for stock ZR1 in the quarter mile wins ...this is all that matters to me and the ability to upgrade the Zr1 costs less and is easier...the AWD to me doesnt matter...

Good luck
Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 AM

Cool

Im a shadetree mechanic (nothing professional mind you) but I can work on an american car no problem. From what I read on this ...it is not for the weekend grease monkey...many of the maintenance items you have to bring it in or they try to void your warranty and allot of the maintenance cost 2 to 5 k to have them do it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-PQca6FJU
Stock for stock ZR1 in the quarter mile wins ...this is all that matters to me and the ability to upgrade the Zr1 costs less and is easier...the AWD to me doesnt matter...

Good luck
sorry, the video is really full of b.s. cool that you have 9999 hp, but how much of that do you put down to ashalpt? do you sit there and spin your wheels? or do you sprint from the get go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2WPFlm22o

they will always keep making "the next" one better.

i will have to agree that the gt-r is an electronical monster. it's still too heavy. need to slim down. i couldn't believe the crap about you push that button, you void the warranty. must be some drunk non japanese engineer's bull**** at the plant. so, i am sure within the next few years they will iron out some of these bugs. hey, hire Pininfarina so that they can spice this car up. why can't they get rid of twin clutch and offer a less expensive more fun to drive manual transmission?

i have never own an american made car so i am not familiar with the mechanics. however, what i hear about corvettes is what you said: easy to work on.

i live by the curvy mountain roads, it snows from november through even may. rear wheel drive is not practical for me. if i had a 5 car garage, sure i might add one but in any case it won't be a zr1. if i am paying that much money, i want more bling out of it. isn't that big bang push rod technology from the 70s? sure you put a 6.2L supercharged engine, i will make that much horsepower too. i mean really? when you sit inside, the ergos are not comfy for me, everything looks like a $5k chevy. come on now!

i don't even understand why they keep comparing these two cars. keep in mind, when the japanese engineers were working on the gt-r their target was to beat 911 turbo awd, not a zr1. i believe that they are in different classes. why not start comparing every god damn thing that has four wheel to each other now. it doesn't make sense to me.

cheers.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 AM

Fearit, Hey I ve been thinking about one too. Can t seem to find out if the 8K brake jobs are true or just for dealer suckers. I mean, I m no Tech but can do brakes, rotors etc... Can t it be done on this car? What about parts? I wish there was more activity on here too! Good Luck.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM

I am pretty sure that 9 out of 10 runs the GTR will spank the ZR1 on the dragstripp on most drivers. The 2012GTR will do it 10 out of 10. GTR's will run 11's all day long. Corvettes need to warm up there tires and wish for traction. There comparable on the road course too but GTRs cost over $40,000 dollars less. Who wants a tractionless wander with 638Hp. The interior on the corvettes are very low quality and ive heard that the seats suck. You should tell all the people that come to me to ask about my gtr and take pictures with it that the car looks ugly. Dollar for dollar the GTR is a much better car.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying HELP!!!