General General forums for the GTR community.

switching from 996GT2 to GTR!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:58 PM

switching from 996GT2 to GTR!

Okay after all the hype I've decided to switch from my 6GT2 to a GTR. After careful research I think I'll be making the right choice. Anyone knows how much HP the tranny can take? I'm looking at the HKS GT570 kit. Has anyone used this before?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:55 PM
GTR Senior Member

I have never used the GT570 kit but I know that the tranny can hold up to 600 hp so go for it. Congrats, I want to hear how the kit works out!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:48 PM

I'm very interested in hearing your opinion on if it was worth the switch. I'm having a hard time deciding between the GTR and the 996 GT2. I won't be able to really push either car to it's handling limits on the street, so it comes down to looks and straight line performance, which both are great at.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:01 PM

The GT2 is a quick car. In fact, remapping the ECU will bump it up from 462bhp to 512bhp quite easily on 91 octane gas. However, it has no TC so it may have it's pro's and con's. Due to this it has been quite aptly labeled as 'the widowmaker'. Handling is a bit twitchy which is is quite easy to remedy. New coilovers will work wonders as the stock set up is oversprung and underdamped. One thing going for owning a GT2 is dep'n. Since prices have dropped sharply and the fact that only 1,061 units were made, demand vs supply dynamics dictate downside is limited at least in the US. I realize I'll be taking a bigger hit w/ the GTR but am allured w/ the leading edge technology traits the car has. Plus since I have kids the GTR is a more practical choice (at least that's what the justification process is saying).