General General forums for the GTR community.

Super Silver $3,000 option

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:03 PM

Super Silver $3,000 option

Anyone know the reason why the other five colors are free, and the Super Silver is a $3,000 option? Granted all the pre-release photos have been in Super Silver.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 PM

The Super Silver Paint requires extra steps during the paint process
Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 PM

$3,000 worth of extra steps? I ordered mine in SS, Ipod, mats, and of course Premium Edition. How many of the 1,500 do you think will be Super Silver?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:58 PM

last time I talked to my Nissan rep I think he said black was the most popular color for my region (south central)
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 PM
GTR Senior Member

the black car is alway baddddd a##
Old 04-11-2008, 06:40 AM
GTRForums Staff

Personally I feel its a bit of a rip off. Its not the only metallic paint option and from what I know of painting, I cant see how they could justify anything over 5-800. Sounded to be like they were just charging more because silver would normally be the most popular option. Personally, will take the dark gray (metallic)
Old 04-11-2008, 05:01 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
Personally I feel its a bit of a rip off. Its not the only metallic paint option and from what I know of painting, I cant see how they could justify anything over 5-800. Sounded to be like they were just charging more because silver would normally be the most popular option. Personally, will take the dark gray (metallic)
^^^what he said
Old 04-13-2008, 05:46 PM

The SS has additional steps and is HAND-POLISHED between every coat, and finally hand-buffed. Compare the price of a multi-step hand polished paint job to a normal and you may get some understanding of the premium associated with it.

The final product will have a more glass like finish and significantly less orange peel.

Quote from NNA letter to GT-R Dealers:

"The Premium Color for GT-R, Super Silver is limited to 25% of total production due to manufacturing constraints. Please keep in mind that if the total number of Super Silver orders placed are in excess of 25% the plant will not be able to build all of the orders. A number of how many Super Silver GT-R orders that can be built for each month will come from headquarters, and if a pre sold order specifying Super Silver cannot be inputted that month due to the color constraint, it will be rolled to the next month. Please keep this color constraint in mind when speaking with customers and placing your pre sold orders."
Attached Thumbnails Super Silver ,000 option-gtr-ss.jpg   Super Silver ,000 option-gtr-ss-2.jpg   Super Silver ,000 option-gtr-ss-3.jpg   Super Silver ,000 option-gtr-ss-4.jpg   Super Silver ,000 option-gtr-ss-5.jpg  

Last edited by Tye-Dyed; 04-13-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:15 AM

I saw the Super Silver at the car show and it's VERY nice. So many cars these days have crappy paint (new M3 had embarassing amount of orange peel)
Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 AM
GTRForums Staff

Originally Posted by Tye-Dyed
The SS has additional steps and is HAND-POLISHED between every coat, and finally hand-buffed. Compare the price of a multi-step hand polished paint job to a normal and you may get some understanding of the premium associated with it.

The final product will have a more glass like finish and significantly less orange peel.

Quote from NNA letter to GT-R Dealers:

"The Premium Color for GT-R, Super Silver is limited to 25% of total production due to manufacturing constraints. Please keep in mind that if the total number of Super Silver orders placed are in excess of 25% the plant will not be able to build all of the orders. A number of how many Super Silver GT-R orders that can be built for each month will come from headquarters, and if a pre sold order specifying Super Silver cannot be inputted that month due to the color constraint, it will be rolled to the next month. Please keep this color constraint in mind when speaking with customers and placing your pre sold orders."

So are you saying that the SS option is actually a better paint job rather than the increase in price and steps just being a result of the color? If it is in fact a premium paint job, ie something of similar quality to a ferrari, I would see the added expense, but Nissan is certainly not marketing that correctly

If this is the case, I really have to see the colors side by side. I still cant see myself going for the SS as it just seems a bit bland to me on this car even though it is a favorite of mine in general

Last edited by CharlesJ; 04-14-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Super Silver $3,000 option