General General forums for the GTR community.

# of Skyline GT-R's in the US & Import Rules

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 02:19 PM
GTRForums Guru

Dude,

I just read your other post. Never mind, you know your stuff
Old 07-18-2006, 02:31 PM

Concerning the engine improvements I aim to build a car that performs the same way (not the same figures that is) that the Mine's BNR34 does, which means I will build it to handle 600 BHP at the most, but with emphasis on response and durability. If all goes as planned, all the engine internals should be able to handle somewhere between 900 and 1200 BHP.

Building that engine will be a long-time project, however, since there's quite a lot of money involved, and I don't want to rush the project and buy B-rated parts just to get a power figure. My car is running 412 HP @ FW for the moment being, and while that would probably suffice for me with regard to my low experience of track driving, I hope I will improve and be able to make use of higher power figures.

I intend to use the car mainly for track days, car shows and as a leisure vehicle during the summer. We'll have to see how that comes along, as the fuel prices in Sweden are up to about $2 per litre.

The GT-SS, Power FC and bigger injectors should be able to produce at least 530 BHP and provide quite good response. But at that stage of tuning there's other mods which are relatively cheap that one should not miss out on, such as fully upgraded exhaust system (maybe exclusive of the manifold), air filters, cam pulleys and camshafts. The standard AFM's could be modified to support such power figures (they start to limit power output at about 475 BHP), but upgrading them could be quite a good idea still, and they're not very expensive either.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:33 PM

Sorry mate, took me some time to write that reply, so I didn't see your latest post until I was finished. Thanks anyway for the tips, it's always very appreciated.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
GTR Senior Member

after you reach about 500bhp, you cannot really go to 600bhp very easily. you have to jump to around 800bhp or more.

what i'm saying is, it's either 450-500bhp, or it's 800-1000bhp. there is no in-between.

and for a track car, over 800bhp seems pointless. unless you are talking about drag-racing. for GT racing, 500bhp is about what they run.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:43 PM
GTRForums Guru

Originally Posted by bonzelite
after you reach about 500bhp, you cannot really go to 600bhp very easily. you have to jump to around 800bhp or more.

what i'm saying is, it's either 450-500bhp, or it's 800-1000bhp. there is no in-between.

and for a track car, over 800bhp seems pointless. unless you are talking about drag-racing. for GT racing, 500bhp is about what they run.
Naw, the way he is going about it, is right. Build it for well over 800, but tune it for 600
Old 07-18-2006, 02:47 PM
GTR Senior Member

to each their own...
Old 07-18-2006, 02:52 PM
GTRForums Guru

My way just happens to be better
Old 07-18-2006, 02:58 PM

It's true indeed that it might be some waste of money jumping past the 500 line and only going for the 600 figure.

But if you want an engine with very good durability pushing past the 500 BHP figure, there are some upgrades you need to do and some upgrades you should do.

The following applies to the BNR34 in particular:

Gaskets must be replaced somewhere between 400 and 450 BHP
Turbochargers must be replaced at about 460 BHP at the most
Injectors must be replaced at 450 BHP
AFM's should be replaced somwhere between 470 and 480 BHP
Fuel pump and FPR should be replaced somewhere at about 500 BHP
Intercooler should be replaced at about 500 BHP (it can go further though)
ECU should be replaced if you make any major upgrades, otherwise a BC might suffice

I tend to consider the air filters, downpipe, decat, catback exhaust and BC part of the BPU-package.

Then there's the parts you don't really need to upgrade, but failing to do so might cost you more in other upgrades as they are quite restrictive, for example cam pulleys and camshafts.

Other upgrades are essential to the well-being of the engine, such as uprated oil and water pumps, external oil cooler, and so on.

Most people I know tuning their Skyline GT-R's mostly agree that there's 4 stages of tuning:

>450 BHP: because many parts need to be replaced thereabouts
>600 BHP: this is the time when you need to think about engine internals at the latest
>800 BHP: this is when parts of the drivetrain could to with some quite expensive upgrades
<800 BHP: (by this time you have already uprated most or all parts, and if you aimed for this figure from the start you would have gone with parts sufficient to handle this and higher figures all along)

I fear we're drifting quite off-topic here, but that's completely fine with me as I enjoy this conversation quite a good bit.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:00 PM
GTR Senior Member

LOL
Old 07-18-2006, 03:04 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by Alecci
It's true indeed that it might be some waste of money jumping past the 500 line and only going for the 600 figure.

But if you want an engine with very good durability pushing past the 500 BHP figure, there are some upgrades you need to do and some upgrades you should do.

The following applies to the BNR34 in particular:

Gaskets must be replaced somewhere between 400 and 450 BHP
Turbochargers must be replaced at about 460 BHP at the most
Injectors must be replaced at 450 BHP
AFM's should be replaced somwhere between 470 and 480 BHP
Fuel pump and FPR should be replaced somewhere at about 500 BHP
Intercooler should be replaced at about 500 BHP (it can go further though)
ECU should be replaced if you make any major upgrades, otherwise a BC might suffice

I tend to consider the air filters, downpipe, decat, catback exhaust and BC part of the BPU-package.

Then there's the parts you don't really need to upgrade, but failing to do so might cost you more in other upgrades as they are quite restrictive, for example cam pulleys and camshafts.

Other upgrades are essential to the well-being of the engine, such as uprated oil and water pumps, external oil cooler, and so on.

Most people I know tuning their Skyline GT-R's mostly agree that there's 4 stages of tuning:

>450 BHP: because many parts need to be replaced thereabouts
>600 BHP: this is the time when you need to think about engine internals at the latest
>800 BHP: this is when parts of the drivetrain could to with some quite expensive upgrades
<800 BHP: (by this time you have already uprated most or all parts, and if you aimed for this figure from the start you would have gone with parts sufficient to handle this and higher figures all along)

I fear we're drifting quite off-topic here, but that's completely fine with me as I enjoy this conversation quite a good bit.
first off, why are you building this car? to DRAG RACE? or GT race? in other words, what is your whole point of this? to just have a big HP number car? do you intend to take the car to GT-style tracks, like the Nurburgring? if so, building a 1200HP car is POINTLESS.

2nd, who cares about large HP numbers alone. they don't mean anything. many, many choices need to be made to create a car that drives well, responds well, and performs well.

Quick Reply: # of Skyline GT-R's in the US & Import Rules