General General forums for the GTR community.

# of Skyline GT-R's in the US & Import Rules

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:49 AM

# of Skyline GT-R's in the US & Import Rules

Greetings to the community!

I'm a new member of this forum, so please bear with me on this question...

I'm quite curious as to how many Skyline GT-R's are registered in the US, if anyone has a clue?

I've heard the stories along the lines that Motorex is the only company allowed to register Skyline, and that Motorex is no longer in a position to do so.

For quite some time I've had a naive dream of perhaps moving to the US. This is quite hard in itself as I would basically need to win a Green Card lottery to be able to do it. My other question is if you're allowed to bring previously owned vehicles with you as you move into the country without having to modify it according to most laws or regulations, or if you still have to adapt your car to pass federal and state regulations?

In Sweden cars imported in the process of moving into the country are eligible for exceptions to regulations, and you never have any problems at all registering such cars. Simply importing certain cars, however, would on the other hand have you regretting you ever thought about it.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:56 PM
GTRForums Guru

Originally Posted by Alecci
Greetings to the community!

I'm a new member of this forum, so please bear with me on this question...

I'm quite curious as to how many Skyline GT-R's are registered in the US, if anyone has a clue?

In Sweden cars imported in the process of moving into the country are eligible for exceptions to regulations, and you never have any problems at all registering such cars. Simply importing certain cars, however, would on the other hand have you regretting you ever thought about it.
Actual legal ones, around 100. As for R34 GTRs, around 12.

R34s will never be able to be legalized until the 25 year rule applies.

The states have some pretty good cars, so sale you skyline, and buy something domestic
Old 07-17-2006, 11:26 PM
GTR Senior Member

R34 is banned across the board.

R33 can be imported as complete car but cannot be approved by DOT.

R32 can be imported as parts only, a rolling chassis, but cannot be approved by DOT.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:12 AM

I'm grateful to you for taking the time to reply to my thread.

I couldn't imagine you have so few Skylines over there, we have about 300 Skylines of different models in Sweden by now, the first one was imported and registered in 2003 I think. About half of these are GT-R's, the R32 GT-R being the most common of them and the R34 GT-R being the most rare one (5 cars registered including my own).

Regrettably selling the BNR34 is not an option, since it's quite simply the car of my dreams (I would choose it over any Porsche, Lamborghini or Koenigsegg any day of the week). Therefore I guess I'll have to postpone my dreams of moving to the US until I get fed up with the car.

Please be somewhat indulgent towards any linguistic errors of mine.

Once again many thanks for your time!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:07 AM
GTRForums Guru

Originally Posted by Alecci
I'm grateful to you for taking the time to reply to my thread.

I couldn't imagine you have so few Skylines over there, we have about 300 Skylines of different models in Sweden by now, the first one was imported and registered in 2003 I think. About half of these are GT-R's, the R32 GT-R being the most common of them and the R34 GT-R being the most rare one (5 cars registered including my own).

Regrettably selling the BNR34 is not an option, since it's quite simply the car of my dreams (I would choose it over any Porsche, Lamborghini or Koenigsegg any day of the week). Therefore I guess I'll have to postpone my dreams of moving to the US until I get fed up with the car.

Please be somewhat indulgent towards any linguistic errors of mine.

Once again many thanks for your time!
We are talking about legal Skylines. There are a lot more, but if you get caught with it, it will be crushed, and you will be in deep kimshi.

R34 GTR over a Koenigsegg, I don't know about that

Your english is excellent, heck its better than mine

I went to the site were you have pics of your car, very nice.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:47 AM

They just confiscate and scrap your car if you get caught driving it without legal registration? That's awfully harsh, if you ask me...

Can you import them and only use them legally in confined areas, such as race tracks during car events and such?

I might probably be the definition of a true Skyline fan, since I consider it the best sports car ever built. A BNR34 is a supercar for me, or rather THE supercar. I don't value a supercar just by its performance, but also other things as how it could/should get used, interior and exterior design, economy, styling and tuning possibilities and of course driving experience, in general as well as on the track/strip.

There may be cars that are better than the BNR34 in distinct areas, but I cannot imagine any other car offering such a complete and tasteful combination of package.

I'm very grateful for your compliments on my "abuse" of the English language, I attempt to practice it as much as possible and I do hope I make some improvements.

I'm also very happy to hear that you like my car. At the present it's in near original condition, but unless my wife or my personal finances (or a combination of both) dictate otherwise, I have great plans for it. This winter the car will get a full respray, which I'm getting for free because I managed to get some sponsors. At the time being, however, I don't know whether I will aim at improving the cars appearance or its performance first.

If it were you, would choose "show" or "go"?

Once more many thanks for your precious time. I'm very happy indeed to make your acquaintance, sir.

Kind regards
Alex of Sweden
Old 07-18-2006, 01:26 PM
GTR Senior Member

They just confiscate and scrap your car if you get caught driving it without legal registration? That's awfully harsh, if you ask me...
----------that is reality.

Can you import them and only use them legally in confined areas, such as race tracks during car events and such?
---------YES. track-only. if you can get the car into the United States, yes. but the R34 is BANNED FROM BEING LEGALLY IMPORTED.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:27 PM
GTR Senior Member

in other words, if you can ILLEGALLY IMPORT the R34 into the USA, then, yes, you can take the car to track only.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:37 PM

Thanks for clearing that part up, bonzelite. Much obliged!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:16 PM
GTRForums Guru

As far as total package, I totally agree, any of the GTR are a great deal. That is why I own 3 R32 GTR

As for show or go. The R34s all ready look awesome, so I would go with the go. But before you decide what you want, don't let a tuner talk you into something you don't need.

If I was to upgrade any of my GTRs with more power, I would just install some GT-SS turbos, 600cc injectors, and a Power FC, and be done with it. That is a great all around match of usable power, and no drivabilty issues. Just with that upgrade you pushing 550hp, which is plenty. Going for more than that, you start dumping a lot more cash, and for what? Just to say your car has XXX amount of power, to me that is just shows how much someone does not know about cars. I am just saying don't get suckered into the tuner trap.

Going with too big of a turbo, you run into issues with tuners wanting to up grade your clutch, trans, and other items that are really not needed, IMHO.

I am a big fan a usable power, not dyno queen numbers, because in the really world dyno number don't mean crap.

Quick Reply: # of Skyline GT-R's in the US & Import Rules