General General forums for the GTR community.

Should I do it?!?! $5K non-refundable deposit...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:20 AM

Should I do it?!?! $5K non-refundable deposit...

Hey Everyone.

New here but have been closely following =)

My local dealer is asking for $5k deposit to be #5, possibly #4 in line. They will be getting two a year, so I will be looking at late 2009, early 2010 for delivery. This is actually pretty good timing for me, financially at least. Price will be $5k above sticker.

Sounds extremely fair to me give the current market, but do you think if I wait a year or so these can be had at MSRP and will readily be available?

Any thoughts?

_Tom
Old 05-13-2008, 05:33 AM
GTR Member

Hello and Welcome.

Sticker is possible.. I got mine for sticker and also paid a 5k deposit. The problem here for you is... Can you wait a year to get it at MSRP? I'M positive next years batch of these R35's will have mark up, but I'M POSITIVE more dealers will sell it at MSRP due to the V spec or as the brand now is called Spec V will be on the market.

Its like when i got My Evo 8 MR in 05

.. The regular evolutions lost their markup because the bigger and better thing came out.

So again.

if you are impatient.. get it now for 5k over so u can say u got it the first year and your one of the few in the world who have it.

Or wait a year and save yourself 5grand..

the choice is your

Goodluck..

-Art
Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 AM

Guess it depends on how much you want it? does seem like a fair deal though. I dont have a problem paying a little bit over msrp, I paid $3500 for my GT-500, but I wanted it right then, so kind of tough call on your end. Honestly if it was me, I would pull the trigger if you are postive they are going to get you one.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trips
Hey Everyone.

New here but have been closely following =)

My local dealer is asking for $5k deposit to be #5, possibly #4 in line. They will be getting two a year, so I will be looking at late 2009, early 2010 for delivery. This is actually pretty good timing for me, financially at least. Price will be $5k above sticker.

Sounds extremely fair to me give the current market, but do you think if I wait a year or so these can be had at MSRP and will readily be available?

Any thoughts?

_Tom

I am in the same boat as you Trips. I could get on the list for 5k non-refundable @ 15k over sticker and a BIG maybe as to when I see the car. I have trolled the forums and heard many different things but the bottom line is; I am right back to where I was. It's a risk either way and nothing is for sure except for the lucky few who have conformations. Right now, I have convinced myself to wait until Jan 09 to place an order and hope for a summer 09 delivery. However, as soon as I see one driving down the road my emotions will kick in and I will want it now. For me it makes financial sence to wait so I can build more equity in my current vehicle. The non-refundable deposit doesn't sit well with me either. Leaves the dealer with to much power when it comes time to do the deal IMHO.

Best of luck to you
Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 AM
GTR Senior Member

that's such a hard call, certainly a gamble.

some people might say what's $5k on a $70k car, others might pay $90k+ for it
Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 AM
GTRForums Staff

One thing to keep in mind is there is no such thing as a non refundable deposit. Dealers cannot keep your money if they do not deliver a car. The worst they can do is hold you money until your spot gets filled or the car is sold. Take a look at your local laws, but basically, until you drive off the lot in your new car, you can get all your money back

I think by late 2009, one will be able to buy one of these at msrp and probably without wait, but that is speculation
Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 PM

Thx for all your responses guys. I think it'll be best if I wait until next year to see how things pan out for the GT-R market.

_Toms
Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 PM
GTR Member

If you can wait, it is the wiser choice...let the incredible hype die down a bit.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 PM

This has happened countless times in the car business...vehicles going for over MSRP initially, and then cooling down, and selling for msrp or below...
They will to, just like 99% of the ones before them.
I am probably missing a ton, but these are some that I can think of that sold for some or way over msrp, and then came down. The only ones that don't come down are limited single model year production cars, and the only one that comes to mind was the 1987 Buick GNX.
If you can afford paying an extra $5000, then don't worry, but if not, I would wait..

NSX
EVO's
ZR-1
Chevy 454SS
Z06
Viper