General General forums for the GTR community.

New skyline in only automatic?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 PM

New skyline in only automatic?!?!

i heard that the new skyline is only gonna be an automatic. i just wanted to know if it is true or not

(This is my first post. So i dont know where this post is supposed to go. So dont blame me.)

Last edited by pakiplaya1293; 11-07-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by pakiplaya1293
i heard that the new skyline is only gonna be an automatic. i just wanted to know if it is true or not

(This is my first post. So i dont know where this post is supposed to go. So dont blame me.)
Are you talking about the new G37?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:42 AM

if you are talking about the GTR then yes its i guess what you would call 'automatic' id like to think of it as a sequential tranny that can shift automatically
Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 AM

no i was talking about the skyline but thats
Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 AM

The Skyline (G) and the GT-R are two seperate things.

The GT-R is auto only.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:16 AM
GTR Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by pakiplaya1293
no i was talking about the skyline but thats
I don't understand

The G37 is the Skyline.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 PM

People are still calling the GT-R the Skyline.

I hope they eventually have a manual 6 speed for the GT-R.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
I hope they eventually have a manual 6 speed for the GT-R.
Agree. Lots of people are hoping for that, too. I believe Nissan will offer it, albeit in very limited numbers.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 PM

Smile

If it is a true DSG tranny and shifts like they claim, I would prefer it. Ok now you can say “You’re not a purist! How can a real driver prefer an auto to a manual!” and all the other things that are running through your mind. But here is MY reasoning for preferring the DSG tranny. Shifting is fun when you are driving on a mountain road and you want that interaction with the car. But the rest of the time it can be a nuisance.
Reason 1. You’re riding with your “significant other” and you are holding hands (or maybe something else) and every time you have to shift, you have to let go and then hold hands again. This cycle repeats. It is even worse when you are on an “early” date i.e. first date and you have spent all evening trying to get close and establish contact and this shifting thing keeps breaking the mood you have established.
Reason 2. There are less chances of that missed shift. Especially the dreaded 2-5 shift that causes you to lose the race.
Reason 3. Many racing classes are using some form of sequential or auto tranny now because there is an advantage. NO HUMAN can shift as fast as these trannys period. Drag racing uses an auto tranny. F1, CHAMPCAR and Indy have been using sequential trannys for years. They shift faster and better. Basically, if it’s good enough for Michael, Ralph, Fernando, Kimi, Jenson and most of all Lewis, it’s good enough for me. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by ghotnit; 11-14-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by ghotnit
If it is a true DSG tranny and shifts like they claim, I would prefer it. Ok now you can say “You’re not a purist! How can a real driver prefer an auto to a manual!” and all the other things that are running through your mind. But here is MY reasoning for preferring the DSG tranny. Shifting is fun when you are driving on a mountain road and you want that interaction with the car. But the rest of the time it can be a nuisance.
Reason 1. You’re riding with your “significant other” and you are holding hands and every time you have to shift, you have to let go and then hold hands again. This cycle repeats. It is even worse when you are on an “early” date i.e. first date and you have spent all evening trying to get close and establish contact and this shifting thing keeps breaking the mood you have established.
Reason 2. There are less chances of that missed shift. Especially the dreaded 2-5 shift that causes you to lose the race.
Reason 3. Many racing classes are using some form of sequential or auto tranny now because there is an advantage. NO HUMAN can shift as fast as these trannys period. Drag racing uses an auto tranny. F1, CHAMPCAR and Indy have been using sequential trannys for years. They shift faster and better. Basically, if it’s good enough for Michael, Ralph, Fernando, Kimi, Jenson and most of all Lewis, it’s good enough for me. Just my 2 cents.
Sure, nobody is taking any of that away from you. MOST people prefer automatic to stick; most buyers opt for auto.

But not me.

There is a minority of fans who are very devoted and preferring the stick shift. I'm not the only one. Others have been speaking out about it lately.