General General forums for the GTR community.

GTR versus Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 AM
GTR Member

A used 90's ZR1 held up well. I am positive the new one will too.

And I dont have a mullet.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 PM
GTRForums Staff

Yeah, I agree the ZR-1 is a different beast all together. Not fair to compare on any level being the price. I do however think on track performance will not be very far off.

However for the normal Z06, although a great car, its higher production, and shows it's price cutting measures. They squeezed a lot of a performance into a good price tag and it shows a bit. These factors would show reasonably why it would not possible hold its value as well. Still does good for an american car though. IMO, corvettes have always lacked a little in certain areas. I have never been a fan of the fit and finish even though they are getting better. Now the GTR also has some cost cutting measures, but overall, still a better finish and I would say a better car in every way including performance, practicality, easier to exploit, and finish. The only question is if it is a fit for you personally. I can absolutely see people reasonably choosing the Z06. Its cheaper, RWD, manual transmission, and a wildly different style. Both great options, but money and styling aside, I believe the GTR has a clear edge, and one that is hard to argue otherwise

With markups on the GTR being project at 20-30k, a better comparison may be a GT3
Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 PM
GTR Member

Its your opinion...

Here is mine, take it or leave it. The Z06 (I own one) is a fantastic car. Hands down I can pass almost any car I see on the track minus full blown race cars. yes, there are cost cutting measures on the car. however I can ignore them. The power train is just plain fantastic. I can not see the GTR (I have one on order) giving the same feeling of a true track car. i see the GTR as a car i would be ok taking to the super market. The Z is not that car. It is grumpy at low speeds (Stock) and not fun in traffic. But you get it on the track, were it belongs, and it is just an amazing ride. Its pure, unedited, mean, unforgiving woopass. The GTR I would imagine is not that car. I cant wait it find out.

The ZR1... I am scared of that car. The Z06 is freaking fast. Add a blower... yeesh. I am sorry man, but a ZR1 is going to eat a GTR at the track.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:43 PM
GTRForums Staff

Yeah, thats almost exactly the point I was trying to make in regards to the Z06. Great on track. Sort of a one track mind kind of car. You notice the cost cutting when you try to live with it on a daily basis. It will undoubtedly be a wildly different experience on the track.

BTW....i used to pass Z06s (including new ones) in my previous lightly modded STI at sebring Not all of them, but definitely 3 quarters. To be fair...i had better tires usually.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:38 AM
GTR Member

Let me give you some info:

Limerock Park - 1.6 mile

Time in modded STi (I owned one) - 1.08
Time in E36 racecar - 1.02
Time in stock 07 Z06 - 1.04 (first run!)

I ran all 3 on Hoosier tires.

With the ZR1, I would be scared.