General General forums for the GTR community.

GT-R Modding Potential?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:30 AM

GT-R Modding Potential?

What kind of hp #'s do you guys think the new GT-R can reach? I know that there are plenty of R32s, 33s, and 34s out there with 1000+hp. I don't know much about this new VQ engine so does anybody know what its capable of hitting?

When I get this car I plan on doing mods like headers, downpipe, exhaust, intake, ECU tune with boost controller, and N2O. I don't want to touch the internals of the engine or go too crazy. I'm hoping that those mods will give me very good gains, enough to spank the Z06 and plenty of others.

Do you know what the stock engine is capable of handling?

The next problem I could see is the new sequential tranny. Will this be able to handle high loads of torque? I would really like to get the GT-R with this transmission as it will be the quickest and most state of the art. But if it has a low tolerance for torque then I'll have to get stick. Anybody have any info on this new tranny and any guesses on what it will be able to hold?

Thanks, take care.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:24 AM

Lightbulb Horsepower figures

In my opinion Nissan notices that the skyline Gtr be it the 32-34 was bought to be toyed with. They know that the huge market is there for modifying the vehicle. So I'm pretty sure that Nissan left some room for power. Lets just take for example the 3.7liter motor out of the new G37. More and likely it is the basis for the new Gtr engine. Minus the internals, and variations in valvetrain. In N/A form the motor is pushing 330hp. Now, were just using the g37 motor as a basis, assuming the new Gtr is shipping with 480hp, the G37 engine would theoretically need about 7psi off boost to match the GTR. But this isn't the case, because the GTR motor will most likely have alot lower compression ratio than the new G37. So I would think that boost pressure around the 9-10psi would compensate for lower compression ratio. Now 480hp at 10psi of boost, thats pretty friendly to me. Just adding 5psi along with proper fuel should net 550hp. This is not including any efficiency upgrades such as tubular turbo manifolds, unrestrictive exhaust system, and better intake system. 550hp, should hold its own, in the super car territory. i.e Z06. Its beautiful isn't it, I wonder what the Z06 owner would have to do to create another 70hp.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by vq37hrdett
In my opinion Nissan notices that the skyline Gtr be it the 32-34 was bought to be toyed with. They know that the huge market is there for modifying the vehicle. So I'm pretty sure that Nissan left some room for power. Lets just take for example the 3.7liter motor out of the new G37. More and likely it is the basis for the new Gtr engine. Minus the internals, and variations in valvetrain. In N/A form the motor is pushing 330hp. Now, were just using the g37 motor as a basis, assuming the new Gtr is shipping with 480hp, the G37 engine would theoretically need about 7psi off boost to match the GTR. But this isn't the case, because the GTR motor will most likely have alot lower compression ratio than the new G37. So I would think that boost pressure around the 9-10psi would compensate for lower compression ratio. Now 480hp at 10psi of boost, thats pretty friendly to me. Just adding 5psi along with proper fuel should net 550hp. This is not including any efficiency upgrades such as tubular turbo manifolds, unrestrictive exhaust system, and better intake system. 550hp, should hold its own, in the super car territory. i.e Z06. Its beautiful isn't it, I wonder what the Z06 owner would have to do to create another 70hp.
The GT-R is actually going to have a new engine, the VR...I think its gonna be a monster and can't wait to crank up the boost on it. BTW, you put a $35,000 deposit down on the GT-R? Why that much? What terms? I have a $500 deposit and have it at sticker price. Take care.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:08 PM

The New GTR. Development of new V6-VQ engine.
Accession number;01A1036931
Title;The New SKYLINE. Development of new V6-VQ engine.
Author;NAGASHIGI SHIN'ICHI(Nissanjidosha Enjinseihinkaihatsubu) YAMAGIWA TAKESHI(Nissanjidosha Enjinseihinkaihatsubu) TATSUTA HIROSHI(Nissanjidosha Enjinseihinkaihatsubu) NAKAGAWA KATSUHIRO(Nissanjidosha Enjinseihinkaihatsubu) KAKUYAMA MASATOMO(Nissanjidosha Enjinseihinkaihatsubu)
Journal Title;Nissan Technical Review
Journal Code:S0443A
ISSN:0385-9266
VOL.;NO.49;PAGE.20-23(2001)
Figure&Table&Reference;FIG.10, TBL.1
Pub. Country;Japan
Language;Japanese
Abstract;In developing the new VQ engine for the new GTR, we modified the design of not only the intake system, exhaust system, and timing chain but also the cylinder block and cylinder head from the current VQ direct injection type spark ignition engine. The new VQ engine achieves high power and high response by adopting a newly designed eVTC and reducing the air flow resistance of the intake and exhaust systems, achieves pleasurable sound by increasing the stiffness of engine main components and reducing interference noise of the intake and exhaust systems. Also boosting power is a pair of turbochargers in variable vane configuration greatly improving boost respoonse. However we are unable to discuss the actual displacement of the engine, it is likely to take name as in the VQ family engine. (author abst.)

This was mailed to me several weeks ago by a guy named Shinzo at bleek garage in Tokyo. I wish we had concrete motor details to go by.

I put a 35k deposit down on the car for sticker price, plus I don't want payments on a 75grand car. I would only have to finance the rest, which shouldn't be much, cause the scoob is payed off, has only 19,500 miles on it, got it appraised for 24,500. So I'll sell it to a dealership, they'll cut me a check and I'll put that into modifications. I'll lose my *** on the subie unless i can find someone to buy all the goods off of it. I'm going stock with the whole car, heres some of the stuff for sale.

Varis carbon hood and trunk, APR Gt500 wing, Full Ings bodykit not installed, APS dr725 front mount, APS SR55 Turbo, APS split pulse header, APS 3.5inch turbo back exhaust, Cusco Roll cage, Volk Ce28n's gold with polished lip 18x8.5 with 42mm offset on a set of 235/40 18 Advan A048's. Set of JDM big port Ver8 heads with HKS 272/274 cams, USDM STi long block. Set of 740cc injectors, APS Intake, HKS hypermax coilovers, Set of Defi gauges in custom pod boost, egt, oil pressure. JDM Version 8 Seats. ARC oil catch can, a bunch of other crap. I'll make an official list and prices later.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:50 AM

Judging by the massive horsepower gain from the 335i with just a chip, I think the GT-R will follow suit. I'm expecting a chip to be the most widely used mod in this car.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 PM

Chip

I don't think it will be a chip, but more along a reflash.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:17 AM

If it doesn't includes this parts they could always buy it from trusted manufacturers like BBK that has been on the lead for 20 years providing good quality of intake manifolds, exhausts fuel regulators and intake systems. ) They've built quality performance parts that exceeded that of the OEM manufacturers.

Last edited by JacSmith; 03-22-2013 at 01:45 AM.