General General forums for the GTR community.

Gt-R: Mid-Sized Coupe???

Old 05-11-2007, 04:03 PM

Gt-R: Mid-Sized Coupe???

In the early Nissan releases about the GT-R, they referred to it as "a midsized" coupe." Does anyone know what that means? WIll the car have any, even small back seats or be like the 350Z (without any)? Thanks in advance for your response...
Old 05-11-2007, 06:30 PM
GTR Member

I personally don't think it will have back seats, especially if there is a higher-end lighter version such as the Evo spec(if there is one). I suggested this awhile back, as an easy way to keep weight down, probably similar to GT2. As in the 911, even if it did have backseats, they are merely "parcel shelves" and hardly seats at all and not at all livable. I am not planning to put the whole family in the car! I NEVER regret not having back seats in my C5.

Also to suggest no back seat is the quasi-neo-fastback sloping back window of the GTR prototype---would offer no headroom for passengers whatsoever.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 PM
GTR Senior Member

Porsches have had back seats for years even though they are nearly useless. if a G35 coupe has back seats, then the GT-R certainly can and will have them as the cars are nearly the same size. i doubt even a top model GT-R will have rear seats deleted. anything can happen now that the GT-R is totally redesigned, and i can be wrong, but i just don't see deleted seats happening.

to overcome the weight issue i would assume they would stroke the engine along with myriad other tuning adjustments, with more extensive use of carbon fibre in the interior. IIRC, in the case of the Enzo the seats are made of carbon fibre with supportive cushioning material over the CF shells. GT-R may feature this in upper crust models.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:15 AM
GTR Member

Bonze-

Unlike the other forum, speculation is fun and should be allowed here now and in the future.

I don't think rationally that they would offer composite front seats on any model, and then waste the weight on unnecessary and useless rear seats, unless such sport seats were combined with a delete or package such as the GT2--- For this reasoning, I am starting to consider the possibility of more than one variation on the GTR platform, although not at launch. I am going to wait to see if there is an Evo type /spec model if it is at all suggested--it would be the most sought after car after its introduction in the long run I believe. I want the most advanced and lightest form of this car in my garage and am willing to wait for it. I have no other basis for my arguements, but just a strong hunch in such--so please no flaming?

Do you think it is possible that Japan will get multiple models at launch, with the U.S. only getting one model at launch, since the car is so much more established in Japan to begin with, and less confusion over models there would not affect initial sales as much? I am really confused about what Nissan is going to do initially here. I think Japan and European sales will take care of themselves in short order as a result of past sales and familiarity.

After heated debates and speculation on the other forums, I think Nissan needs to bring the best and most technologically advanced weapon to the fight if they want to quickly establish heritage and loyalty in the U.S. Initial impressions are huge in America. It is going to come down to the idea of whether they want to sell a bunch of performance cars, which suggests watering down of one type or another, or if Nissan aims to show the world with pride its best product first, gain loyalty and brand allegiance, and as a result sell many more cars later.

Again, I don't see why they would spend 5 + years on a project they didn't have to do, in top secret conditions, just to sell a bunch of good looking and more than adequate performing cars. The G37 is for that.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:25 AM
GTR Senior Member

i'm not flaming you for a dissenting opinion. did my post prior to yours appear hostile? i am guessing just as much as you. i just doubt it will delete the rear seats. i'm not aiming to be hostile. not at all.

as well, it's to be expected that the GT-R will appear in different model variants as this has been done for years with the previous GT-Rs. i have maintained for a while in other threads that the JDM GT-R will probably differ slightly from it's USDM counterparts. i also believe and have believed for a while that the USDM may not even see what the JDM gets.

yet that is speculative as well.

however, i find it highly unlikely that over the 4 or 5 year production cycle of the GT-R that it will only appear in one model. i just don't see that happening. rear seats deleted? maybe. but it's a big maybe. were that to happen, it may be a Nismo R-Tune version, as is seen in the case of the R-Tune 350Z. if i recall correctly, i think i saw no rear seats in an R-Tune 350Z a couple of years ago at willow springs. i think i did. i do remember the interior being very naked and set up for racing. it did retain the whole factory dash board and center console. but i believe it had no carpeting or rear seats. it had a roll cage as well.

i cannot know how much of it was done by Nismo and how much was done after the fact.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:30 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by bonzelite
i'm not flaming you for a dissenting opinion. did my post prior to yours appear hostile? i am guessing just as much as you. i just doubt it will delete the rear seats. i'm not aiming to be hostile. not at all.

as well, it's to be expected that the GT-R will appear in different model variants as this has been done for years with the previous GT-Rs. i have maintained for a while in other threads that the JDM GT-R will probably differ slightly from it's USDM counterparts. i also believe and have believed for a while that the USDM may not even see what the JDM gets.

yet that is speculative as well.

however, i find it highly unlikely that over the 4 or 5 year production cycle of the GT-R that it will only appear in one model. i just don't see that happening. rear seats deleted? maybe. but it's a big maybe. were that to happen, it may be a Nismo R-Tune version, as is seen in the case of the R-Tune 350Z. if i recall correctly, i think i saw no rear seats in an R-Tune 350Z a couple of years ago at willow springs. i think i did. i do remember the interior being very naked and set up for racing. it did retain the whole factory dash board and center console. but i believe it had no carpeting or rear seats. it had a roll cage as well.

i cannot know how much of it was done by Nismo and how much was done after the fact.

I never thought you the least hostile. On the other forum we have been on, and that i have belonged to for years, it just extremely disappoints me in that no one seems to think there is any possibility for another car(except another vette), let alone a japanese car, to ever outperform the Z06, and how any of this could be good for any auto enthusiast or the industry as a whole if technology should not advance. It has nearly always happened before, and I think there is no reason not to think it will happen again.

As said before, I passed on many a Z06, especially early in the cycle, in hopes that the GTR will come and not disappoint. I want something totally and extremely different from the fabulous vette I have now. I never said the vette is not a fabulous car because it is, but it has been extensively driven since its introduction in 2006 model year and it does have flaws which are starting to appear--not so much in the powertrain, but in at the edge handling. Just as with that car, I will be passing on the initial GTR if there is ANY hint of a higher end variant, as that is what I want-----light, fast, carbon fiber and two seats, with big turbos and advanced AWD. I think it would make an excellent street car with civil manners, yet able to perform for those wishing an occasion or two at the track, and have extensive mod capability built into it from the factory---something that a rear wheel,normally aspirated, on pump gas car can never (in my mind) be so capable of doing right out of the box.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:38 AM
GTR Senior Member

i understand.

as a GT-R fan even i have seen cars arise that can supercede the base model R-34 GT-R, ie, the Lancer Evo. that car can outperform a GT-R rather easily. and i just accept that.

why someone cannot accept their car of choice being superceded is beyond my understanding as well. there will always be a car that comes along that establishes a new dominance. things come in cycles. cars are no different.

i appreciate your open-mindedness about this matter. you are well grounded and it is a pleasure to talk with you.