General General forums for the GTR community.

Is the GT-R going to be the fastest japanese car in '07?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 10:13 AM

Is the GT-R going to be the fastest japanese car in '07?

I was looking around right now, and the fastest current *stock* production car seems to be the NSX, not to mention it like doubles the next rival in price. Now if you think about it, in the next couple years, if nothing really new comes out from Toyota or Honda (which I doubt), then technically shouldn't the new GT-R be the fastest japanese car out there?

I've heard Toyota has rumours of bringing back the next generation Supra, not sure what they call it.. but I think it starts with a T, has 500 horsepower and is powered by a V10 engine, so that's always something to watch out for. Honda I know has a few projects to, including a brother to the NSX, slightly smaller I think.. don't know the engine specs, but I'm pretty sure it isn't 400 horsepower stock, as I don't think Honda is really all about pure power, not to mention I don't think its going to be really easy making a 500horsepower VTEC motor (without turbo/supercharge).

Oh well, it would be nice if the GT-R keeps the fastest japanese production car persona when it comes out. I'm sure that would definitely help its sales.

P.S. I know many of you are going to mention the Z-Tune, but I don't really consider 20 car production runs a real production run. I'm talking about mass produced.

Last edited by dkhl; 09-24-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:06 AM

from what i understand the NSX is dead as we know it. near the same time the GTR makes a entrance honda is shooting to release it succesor. last i heard the name will be changed, but, the motor is rumored to be a V-10. (F1 inspired they say, but that always cracks me up) as for the toyota i have heard that rumor as well, and it seems even if everything went forward without problems they would struggle to be in production on it by then as well. we are still expecting an evo X by then, (on a new platform with no 4g63- and with mitsu current state details are sketchy) should release (if at all) by 08. subaru has revamped the sti this year, (06) so it may be due for updates around the same time.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:23 PM
GTR Senior Member

new GTR is to be in same class as Porsche 996 GT3.

figure it out.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:49 AM

..but what will the 996 be like in '07 !!
Old 09-25-2005, 11:07 AM
GTR Senior Member

supercar to come

Originally Posted by buzzard
..but what will the 996 be like in '07 !!
by then, it will be the 997.

the 996 is the benchmark that will be used as a basis of departure. meaning, the GTR should be beyond the 996, as stated by nissan.

the GTR has been known, in print media particularly, as the "porsche eater."
Old 09-26-2005, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, but nobody really answered my question..

I'm pretty sure the next Evo isn't going to be 500HP AWD, that would be really nice.. but I think that would be overkill, not to mention alot of Evo owners already have problems with transmissions going from their 8000rpm clutch drops lol, give them 200+ horsepower more and things are definitely going to start breaking, so to speak.

Toyota and Honda's cars are slightly more exclusive from what I hear, their production runs are going to be very limited, espescially Toyota's V10 which I hear is probably going to be in the $150k range at least... honda's next generation replacement for the NSX will sell under the Honda title Im sure of that, but its more than likely going to be a v8 with a very well-tuned chassis to go along with it. If you liked refined products, Honda isn't too bad... but too bad the NSX is about the only real thing that's competitive nowadays. Sure there are the S2k's, but in stock form they are completely slow as hell, no torque, and it takes forever to get into vtec.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by dkhl
Thanks for the replies guys, but nobody really answered my question..

I'm pretty sure the next Evo isn't going to be 500HP AWD, that would be really nice.. but I think that would be overkill, not to mention alot of Evo owners already have problems with transmissions going from their 8000rpm clutch drops lol, give them 200+ horsepower more and things are definitely going to start breaking, so to speak.

Toyota and Honda's cars are slightly more exclusive from what I hear, their production runs are going to be very limited, espescially Toyota's V10 which I hear is probably going to be in the $150k range at least... honda's next generation replacement for the NSX will sell under the Honda title Im sure of that, but its more than likely going to be a v8 with a very well-tuned chassis to go along with it. If you liked refined products, Honda isn't too bad... but too bad the NSX is about the only real thing that's competitive nowadays. Sure there are the S2k's, but in stock form they are completely slow as hell, no torque, and it takes forever to get into vtec.
LOL, why did you ask if you could have answered your own question?
Anyways, I think Honda's next gen NSX will be around the same price as the GT-R, but below its class as far as power goes. Also, form what I've read, Toyota's next gen "supra" is going to be around the GTR's power but will probably cost much more, expected (like what you said) to be around 150k; Although I doubt anyone will pay 150k for a Toyota so they may rethink there position on that price.
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited by 300zxsteve; 04-15-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:57 PM
GTR Senior Member

fastest japanese car?

dkhl, the thing about "fastest" ratings is that they are soon trumped by another "fastest" car.

so what do you mean? the fastest japanese car for one year? or for five years? the fastest car from 0-60? 0-100? the fastest 1/4 mile production car? the fastest car on the Nurburgring one lap? the fastest new car?

officially, the Z-tune is the fastest production japanese car; i think even the fastest production car overall, even if it only numbers 20. it is still a legitimate statement. it is a production car.

nobody really knows yet if the 07/08 GT-R is to be anything near the Z-tune R34 GT-R. but i think it will be. why else would they create the Z-tune and have it all over the press? by that, Nissan and Nismo were saying "look everybody. look at what we're going to do. this is a sample of what you're going to see pretty soon from us. Porsche better watch out; we're not afraid of you."

if Nissan falls short of that, then they have only destroyed their own reputation; at the very least cried wolf big time.

Last edited by bonzelite; 09-26-2005 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 10-14-2005, 04:02 PM

One thing that is really important for sport cars and that is the handling. How many horsepower and/or torque do not make the car any faster if you race them on twisty tracks.

I am really concern more about the new GTR's handling and its old problem , dissipating heat from its massive engine with its power.

By the way, it is my first post here and coming from the world of Evo
Old 10-14-2005, 09:42 PM
GTR Senior Member

welcome evo enthusiast. i have a VR-4. we hope you enjoy the site.

Quick Reply: Is the GT-R going to be the fastest japanese car in '07?