General General forums for the GTR community.

Don't launch your GTR....too much!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:40 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by chosunman
But by holding the brake, wouldn't that cause premature wear and stress on the transmission? I mean, does the computer know that the user is trying to use the launch mode, thereby not engaging the auto clutch?
Yes. There are numbers floating around the 100-150 LC launches before the transmission go out, and when it does, prepare to dish out ~$15k to replace it if Nissan doesn't cover it.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 PM

I've seen a new GT-R on a lift at a local garage. I asked what was wrong with it and they said that it had blown tranny from drag racing.
So, some care wouldn't hurt.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ultima00
Turn VDC off, turn the transmission/damping switch to R (the 3 R's). Left foot on brake, right foot on and go..in a nutshell.

I don't understand, the VDC is the switch on the right, to turn it off, you'd have to switch it down, but then you said turn all three switches to the "R", how do you do that? I thought the VDC works like this, the last switch can be left alone, which would allow traction control, switched down which turns it off, or switched up, which would place it on "R" mode.

I tried launching it yesterday with all three switches on R, the car just bogged at 2k rpms. What am I missing here??
Old 09-29-2008, 05:08 PM
GTR Member

I’ll try to explain this again. Since I don’t own a GTR I can only tell you what I’ve seen. Turn stability control off, the transaxle/ shock absorbers mode to R. Foot on break (hold it), floor the throttle, wait 'til you see the 4500 RPM..release break. You other GTR guys feel free to correct me if I"m wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how its done.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
GTR Senior Member

Here is how I've heard it (haven't tried it yet). From park put the car in manual mode then left and mid switch to R mode then right switch to off (down). Left foot on brake, right on gas. Car should hold at 4500 rpms. Side step brake and get ready to shift quick if you are still conscious.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 AM

But the instructionals on youtube has the person putting the 3 buttons all on "R", I'm confused as hell and I've done both methods, only to see a lackluster bogging at 2k rpms.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:54 PM
GTR Senior Member

No the VDC has to be switched off. However, if the tranny isn't warm enough the car won't allow it to happen, drive the car around first.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:16 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by ultima00
Yes. There are numbers floating around the 100-150 LC launches before the transmission go out, and when it does, prepare to dish out ~$15k to replace it if Nissan doesn't cover it.
100+ launches is pretty good, supposidly a lot of the ferraris wont last for more than 5-10 launches.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Catapult5
Here is how I've heard it (haven't tried it yet). From park put the car in manual mode then left and mid switch to R mode then right switch to off (down). Left foot on brake, right on gas. Car should hold at 4500 rpms. Side step brake and get ready to shift quick if you are still conscious.

correct me if im wrong, but I heard that you don't have to shift when using LC.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 PM

Finally got it to work. I don't know if theres a program that won't let it work before 750 miles on the odometer, but its working great now. I haven't actually launched it, but if I hold the brakes, the motor stays steadily at 4.5k. Now I'm just waiting for that Z06 guy in my neighborhood to line up with me on the road one day, just kidding.

Does any other members here have that annoying whining sound coming emiting from the car. Sounds almost like radio interference. I also feel as the the mid-range to upper rpm power delivery falls off compared to my old supra TT. I'm sure a nice hollowed out downpipe will cure that problem.

Quick Reply: Don't launch your GTR....too much!