General General forums for the GTR community.

Dealership Factoids about the GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:04 AM

Exclamation Dealership Factoids about the GT-R

I was speaking with the GM of our Nissan Store and he confirmed that it will cost Nissan Dealers about $25,000 to add equipment to service the GT-R, plus they have to send 2 Techs to Japan for training, and only the owner of the dealership can sell the GT-R. In addition, there will be steps to prevent any market adjustment and price gouging.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by speedblister
I was speaking with the GM of our Nissan Store and he confirmed that it will cost Nissan Dealers about $25,000 to add equipment to service the GT-R, plus they have to send 2 Techs to Japan for training, and only the owner of the dealership can sell the GT-R. In addition, there will be steps to prevent any market adjustment and price gouging.

SURE.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
SURE.
This doesn't mean a private person will buy the GT-R and then re-sell it for much more than they paid... which is the American way, but what I said is true.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:01 PM

I was told the somewhat the same thing, altough the dollar amounts were higher, but when I asked about the GT-R they took me to the G.M. of the dealership's office and he said only the G.M's will be selling the GT-R
Old 01-06-2008, 05:01 PM
GTR Member

Speedblister is dead on! In my case my g.m. didn't know too much about the GT-R so I sold it. The only thing he did was reinforce what we were asking for.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by NERDJustBNME
Speedblister is dead on! In my case my g.m. didn't know too much about the GT-R so I sold it. The only thing he did was reinforce what we were asking for.
So what is the cap that Nissan is putting on the price over MSRP?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:37 PM
GTRForums Staff

This is actually true. I have heard the total investment needed to sell and service GTRs is about 40k. However to use this to jsutify 20k plus markups is unreasonable. As a dealership, you are making an investment for the future, not the first once you get on the lot.

The ability to sell GTRs not only nets you a high profit vehicle even at or close to MSRP, it also gains you more notoriety and respect as a dealer, most likely will increase your other sports car sales and services, namely the 350z, gains you the ongoing income of servicing GTRs forever, and sales of GTRs as long as they come to the usa. Not to mention that while the cost may be 30-40k there is nothing saying that the dealers have to pay for all of that or all up front. Who know if nissan has plans in place to help dealers with this. It shoulds be viewed as an investment, not a justification to make it all back and then quite a bit off the first two cars which is exactly what they have banded together to do. What they also fail to mention is that for many new car release, they need to send techs and other employees to training programs and buy special equipment. This car is not the first and will not be the last. Its just the one they decided to use it as an excuse on.

As a last little tidbit to my rant, what we have been told is involved in this investment is a new special lift, a couple specialty tools, and sending the techs to japan. That should not ad up to 40k. Maybe half that, but who knows
Old 01-08-2008, 05:05 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by winkie
So what is the cap that Nissan is putting on the price over MSRP?
As far as I know there isn't one. It depends on your market area. I know for fact in California they are pricing as high as 60K over. We decided to go with 20K over. Believe me once the initial "GT-R High" is over the prices will go down. But, for now can you blame us for trying to make a profit to cover the costs of certification.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by NERDJustBNME
As far as I know there isn't one. It depends on your market area. I know for fact in California they are pricing as high as 60K over. We decided to go with 20K over. Believe me once the initial "GT-R High" is over the prices will go down. But, for now can you blame us for trying to make a profit to cover the costs of certification.
Any insight as to how long Nissan currently intends to sell the GTR in America? Right now is the plan just a 2 year production?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 AM
GTRForums Staff

Originally Posted by winkie
Any insight as to how long Nissan currently intends to sell the GTR in America? Right now is the plan just a 2 year production?

I am sure they have not yet decided. Will depend on sales. Based on the current situation, I would think they would at least finish out the product run of this new generation. Its probably here to stay

Quick Reply: Dealership Factoids about the GT-R