General General forums for the GTR community.

Any manual 6 speed the future? Or a lighter weight GT-R?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 PM

Any manual 6 speed the future? Or a lighter weight GT-R?

I have searched all over the Internet, but have seen/heard nothing on whether or not the GT-R will every come equipped with a stick. Is there any evidence that it will? What about the lightweight version we've seen hinted at?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:47 PM
spt
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
I have searched all over the Internet, but have seen/heard nothing on whether or not the GT-R will every come equipped with a stick. Is there any evidence that it will? What about the lightweight version we've seen hinted at?

So far the info we have been getting suggests that there aren't any plans for a manual. The amount of rave reviews that multiple media outlets have provided seem to show that the transmission on the gtr is amazing.

Down the line who knows.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
GTR Member

There is most likely going to be a V-Spec edition, which will most likely take out luxuries for reduction of weight and of course add some power to the engine for those who are more focused on performance. And if Nissan thinks it through well enough a V-Spec Nur edition
Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 PM

Looks like I'll be sitting on the sidelines until the V-SPEC version, or the EVO version, or whatever they'll call it comes out. I can't bring myself to buy a car without a clutch and a stick

In the interim, I'll probably settle for a CTS-V
Old 01-25-2008, 04:13 PM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
I can't bring myself to buy a car without a clutch and a stick
Go drive one before you rule it out...the tranny is actually amazing, but I understand the apprehension.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM
GTR Member

I do not think Nissan will make a GT-R with a clutch and stick. Its slower. BMW grudgingly made an M5 wit ha stick and it is way slower than the auto.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:50 PM
GTRForums Staff

I have to agree that the stick version is unlikely. I know they will do a Vspec (or Spec V) which will be up on performance, but I think the paddle shifter is here to stay. They would have to completely make a new manual from scratch unlike anything they have ever made for this due to the transaxle design, so I doubt the cost would be worth the return for them. Like it or not, the paddles are probably here to stay
Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ScottsZ-0-6
I do not think Nissan will make a GT-R with a clutch and stick. Its slower. BMW grudgingly made an M5 wit ha stick and it is way slower than the auto.
People, I think, are forgetting about things like flat-foot shifting and the eventual ECU tweaks that will allow for this easily (like the ECU patch for the Evo). Launch control can be done via the ECU too...you don't need some kind of automatic tranny to do it well (well, maybe for novices ).
Old 02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
GTR Senior Member

The SuperGT version of the GT-R with the V8 has a transaxle like the road going version. It also has a proper 3-pedal manual with a sequential (inline) shifting transmission.

So NISMO has already adapted the transaxle. But will this make it to the road going car? That's one of the biggest mysteries.

It would seem remote a chance at best. We have maybe 5 years to have the R35 in production. A lot can happen in that time. We've barely scratched the surface.

So I wouldn't entirely rule it out, but I would not hold my breath.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:07 PM
GTR Senior Member

SuperGT GT-R specs

Overall length mm 4800
Overall width mm 2000
Wheelbase mm 2720
Track width (Front) mm 1685
Track width (Rear) mm 1675
Weight 2425 lbs w/out driver (1425 lbs lost!)
Engine VK45DE Engine 4494 cc engine (Used in Super GT 350z past two years)
Max. Power 500+ ps
Max. Torque 376 lb.-ft.
Clutch 5.5" Carbon triple plate
Transmission Sequential manual 6 speed (Transaxle)

Brakes (Front) AP Racing Slotted Ventilated disc
Brakes (Rear) AP Racing Slotted Ventilated disc
Suspension (Front) Double wishbone
Suspension (Rear) Double wishbone
Drivetrain Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)
Wheels (Front) 18x13
Wheels (Rear) 17x13
Tires (Front) 330/40R18
Tires (Rear) 330/45R17

Quick Reply: Any manual 6 speed the future? Or a lighter weight GT-R?