General General forums for the GTR community.

???????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 11:32 AM

???????

I was led to believe, from the motoring press, here in the UK, that the R32 was outlawed in the USA (something about emissions), but from what I can see, there seems to be a lot over there. Can anyone clarify the situation for me please?

Steve
Old 05-06-2005, 10:38 AM
GTR Senior Member

there are not a lot of r32, 33, 34s over here. probably less than 200.

yet there are a few over here, most of which probably having been imported via a boutique company called MotoRex, and/or RBMotoring.

the JDM crash and saftey standards are not up to par with american requirements, therefore the skyline is illegal, not because of emissions standards: japanese emissions standards are more stringent than USDM --it is the incompatibility of the emissions electronics systems of the JDM cars with american smog test equipment that fails them (OBD 1 vs. OBD 2).

furthermore, the GT-R was never made available globally, particularly to the gigantic american car culture, because it was not fiscally sensical for nissan, nor was there much of a market, at the time, for that classification of car. literally, the GT-R was ahead of its time.

now, fifteen years later, it is time. america has since caught, hook-line-and-sinker, the entire japanese tuning fever, embracing now even the (then) "odd" AWD touring car format. now mundane family sedans have AWD.

Last edited by bonzelite; 05-08-2005 at 01:37 AM.