GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R  Community

GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R Community (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/)
-   R32 | R33 | R34 (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/r32-%7C-r33-%7C-r34-17/)
-   -   anywhere to buy a 92 r-32 in the US or Canada? (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/r32-%7C-r33-%7C-r34-17/anywhere-buy-92-r-32-us-canada-283/)

VERTICALSLIK 10-06-2005 11:03 PM

anywhere to buy a 92 r-32 in the US or Canada?

hi im new, and i want to buy a r-32, and i dont have 25k to spend. i would only like to spent up to 8k, and im pretty sure i cant get anything with that, but if anyone has any sites that sells r-32s or where i can get one so i can drive it in the US

shadz 10-07-2005 07:46 AM

sites

don't rule out ebay, they post skylines every now and again. But be careful and do your homework on whoever is selling the car, there have been a lot of scams going down. Also don't be afraid to check out RB Motoring at www.rbmotoring.com and Motorex at www.motorex.net. Even though motorex can't import anymore they do have some skylines in stock, and financing is always an option. Your payments should be pretty low with $8K as a down payment.

Real GTR 10-07-2005 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by VERTICALSLIK
hi im new, and i want to buy a r-32, and i dont have 25k to spend. i would only like to spent up to 8k, and im pretty sure i cant get anything with that, but if anyone has any sites that sells r-32s or where i can get one so i can drive it in the US

Sorry to tell you even a illegal skyline will cost you more than 8 if that's all you have to spend.

VERTICALSLIK 10-07-2005 03:07 PM

ok, what about just a 92, not a gt-r, just a gts-t type m, how much do u think they would go for? and what about that over 15 year thing? I heard that u can get imports that are 15 years or older %100 legal, and registered. im only 17, and i really want to get a skyline for my graduation gift, and it doesnt have to be a gtr, i just want to be a part of the skyline family

VERTICALSLIK 10-07-2005 03:31 PM

ok i found this one http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/73...-for-sale.html and i really like it, so how would i ba able to get it registered and legal to drive in the us? its 15 year mark will be next month,

Real GTR 10-07-2005 05:01 PM

ok i found this one http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/73...-for-sale.html and i really like it, so how would i ba able to get it registered and legal to drive in the us? its 15 year mark will be next month,

The 15 year rule only applies to Canada it 20 or 25 in the U.S. I can't rember.

Check on insurance since you 17 I'd say your looking at about 2,500 for full coverage. If any1 will even cover u.

Here's a thread about it.
http://forums.gtrforums.com/showthre...6&page=1&pp=10

VERTICALSLIK 10-07-2005 05:45 PM

so theres no way to get this legally into america?

Real GTR 10-07-2005 09:04 PM

so theres no way to get this legally into america?

Not with out spending about 50 grand.

VERTICALSLIK 10-07-2005 10:28 PM

ok, say i import that skyline i posted earlier and i import it to canada, register it there, then bring it to the us? can i do that, thats not illegal right?

shadz 10-08-2005 07:08 AM

OK, Listen here, you aren't getting a street legal skyline into america for any less than $20K for an R32. Just won't happen. Unless you find one for sale that is already here. But out of all the skylines I've seen in the last few months on ebay, I haven't seen an R32. That doesn't mean they don't exist though. You can find anything if you put your mind to it. Just do your homework. Although, your best bet right now, is probably to play the waiting game like everyone else. And honestly, I don't think that the skyline should be anyone's FIRST car to drive. I'm sure the insatiable urge to push that pedal to the floor will be too much, and you will soon be out of one of two things, either your car, or your license. Relax and put some money away. Drive a beater for a while, then when you have the money, put a down payment on one and finance the rest. It isn't hard, you could probably get your parents to co-sign for you.

Real GTR 10-08-2005 07:51 AM

ok, say i import that skyline i posted earlier and i import it to canada, register it there, then bring it to the us? can i do that, thats not illegal right?

Yeah if you live in Canada and stay there.

Still illegal if you bring it accros the boarder and don't have it legalized and live here.

In other word's no. :mad:

Sorry but please stop dreaming! :spit:

Realize your going to have to spend some money if you want one and want it legal.

VERTICALSLIK 10-08-2005 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Real GTR
Yeah if you live in Canada and stay there.

Still illegal if you bring it accros the boarder and don't have it legalized and live here.

In other word's no. :mad:

Sorry but please stop dreaming! :spit:

Realize your going to have to spend some money if you want one and want it legal.

allright, and to shadz, i do drive, ive already had 3 cars, my first one was a beater, now i drive a ricer, i think im ready for a skyline, but ok...

shadz 10-08-2005 01:57 PM

OK, but still, you're only 17, you're on your second car already. You have a long time to decide what type of skyline you want and to put the money away. If your smart about it, you should put money away for one for a few years, and find a really nice one, maybe even the new GTR when it comes out, who knows?? Your young yet, relax and enjoy life......:smilie_th

VERTICALSLIK 10-08-2005 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by shadz
OK, but still, you're only 17, you're on your second car already. You have a long time to decide what type of skyline you want and to put the money away. If your smart about it, you should put money away for one for a few years, and find a really nice one, maybe even the new GTR when it comes out, who knows?? Your young yet, relax and enjoy life......:smilie_th

but i need a skyline to enjoy life lol, no j/k. i understand. i might just get a gts for 5k, and put work into it, then use it at the drag strip :D

Real GTR 10-09-2005 10:56 PM

but i need a skyline to enjoy life lol, no j/k. i understand. i might just get a gts for 5k, and put work into it, then use it at the drag strip :D

If you plan on running 11's or less be prepared to spend any where from 50k-120k on a motor and all the nesscery things to get it to do it.

The crank alone will coust you 5k, and a good set of turbos will run around 2,500-4,500.

Roll cage, new block, turbos, new to rebuilt trany, rods, pistons, crank, wheels, motor machine work, custom intercooler, etc=big money.

Please stop thinking that your going to spend a few dollars and think it's going to be easy.

Everything for a skyline cost big money.

VERTICALSLIK 10-11-2005 05:13 PM

ok, but its gonna be a never ending work in progress. im not gonna dump 20k into it right as i get it. i know skylines are expensive, but i dont plan on puting in a crapload of money into it for atleast till i get out of trade school. i want it so i can learn and test, its not gonna be "The best skyline ever" i dont need that. all i want is to get the skyline for 6k (its in godd condition) and tinker with it

bonzelite 10-11-2005 09:13 PM

from Canada: Skyline importers

i found this stuff, for what it's worth. you can definitely import them into Canada right away. but you cannot legally drive them here (yet):

--for the United States: if the car is 25 years or older, it can be imported without having to be brought into compliance or having any paperwork from the manufacturer stating it's status. And since it's coming from Canada, no import duties thanks to NAFTA. I think all you have to do is show them the title transfered to your name. I'm assuming Michigan has that "grandfather clause" deal that automatically covers a recently purchased vehicle for 30 days provided you have valid insurance on another vehicle which would cover any insurance issues. I think all you have to do is pay a small fee and your in. btw, each state has it's own policies regarding "gray market" cars.

***note***
One aspect of importing a car from Japan that you should watch out for is FRAUD. There is the chance that a dealer in used cars might sell the same car to multiple buyers, sell cars that he does not own, sell cars that belong to other companies, such as did a dealer known as "Monkey". Monkey and his wife were charged with over 300 fraudulent sales, involving more than $1 million dollars.

listings:

HI THERE IMPORT FANS. MY NAME IS KARL HARDY. I AM AN IMPORT AGENT AND HAVE STAFF IN TOKYO AND MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA. I CAN BUY CARS DIRECTLY FROM AUCTIONS IN JAPAN FOR IMPORT TO CANADA. MECHANICAL REPORTS PROVIDED. SO IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A 15 Y.O GTR, SILVIA, GTO, 300ZX, 180SX OR ANY OTHER JAPANESE SPORTSCAR PLEASE CONTACT ME KARLHARDY@NETSPACE.NET.AU
(INTERNATIONAL CODE FROM CANADA TO AUSTRALIA) THEN 61 408788897 IM HAPPY TO GIVE YOU PICTURES AND A QUOTE......
------------------------

Edigital Posted - 5/29/2005 11:03:20 PM
My name is Ed Walker and I am now situated in Tokyo, Japan. I specialize in exporting sports cars from Japan overseas (Skylines, Supras, Fairladys, 180SXs, Silvias etc). I am originally from Van, B.C. but have been living here for 6 years. I buy straight out of the Japanese dealer auctions. Reading through the forum...finding a car with an original 30,000KMS...forget about it. Shipping from Yokohama port to New West approx 850.00 CAD (give or take $50.00 depending on exchange rates). I have imported a handfull of cars in Van and know the process inside and out as I have actually been there to walk through the process. If you have any questions or are interested in purchasing a car straight from Japan...forget the friends of friends of friends...send me an email. edigital@viola.ocn.ne.jp
------------------------

MONKY'S INC Posted - 6/16/2005 4:15:19 AM
http://www.japaneseusedcar.ca/
1989-1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R, GTS, GTS-T TypeM available at us

We have a plenty of 15years old Japanese Performance Cars in stock, and export to directly from us to the individual custmer, import company, dealers in Canada.
------------------------

Posted - 7/13/2005 12:14:20 AM
A well priced importer:
http://www.jns-imports.com/

info on the importing:
http://www.jns-imports.com/importinfo/index.html
------------------------

Posted - 8/3/2005 12:37:58 AM
Hello All,
Seems there is some interesting dialouge in this thread as well as alot of the I-know-it-all BS! Anyways, I am a Canadian working in Japan as a car exporter. As most of you know, Canada has a trade embargo and only cars 15+ years old are allowed to be imported, meaning that 89 and 90 Skylines do comply. As far as I know (about 95% sure), right hand cars are not a problem to import, just finding someone to buy them may be! I am in the early stages of thinking to start importing some cars back to Canada....ideally Vancouver, and Skylines are a definate target car....as well as mint condition Euro's. I attend 5 auctions a week, and the company I work for has 4 buyers at most of the biggest auctions offered every day in Japan. If anyone has any questions or interest please mail me at canvan123@yahoo.com. As well, I will be in Vancouver in mid August, so if this interest is really serious I will make the time to meet up and show you what our company has to offer.
Cheers, CD
----------------------

Posted - 8/23/2005 6:49:53 AM
Hi N. Drillot, my name is Ed Walker and I am going to be coming home to Vancouver in the beginning of September. I am currently residing in Tokyo, Japan and have been in the car export business for quite some time. If you are interested in meeting while I am in Van, let me know. I have imported several cars into Canada so I can walk you through the process. The thing about purchasing a car from Japan is that you have to transfer your money to someone that you have only spoken with on the phone...and I have heard of some real nightmares taking place for the purchaser. I source cars directly from Japanese car auctions and wholesalers working strictly off a flat agents fee. If you or anyone else is interested, let me know. I touch down on Sep 2 and will be coming back to Tokyo Sep 22. You can contact me by email: edigital@viola.ocn.ne.jp or +81 90 6173 4510 until next week. Ed
-----------------------

Ray GVRD/FV Posted - 8/23/2005 6:57:36 AM
www.scimotors.com. D#10707
Tel: 604-308-5252
These people only import skylines from Japan and are the authority on them.
They are located in the Valley
-----------------------

***end note***
Posted - 9/7/2005 6:49:43 PM

I would like to add my 2 cents worth here on this subject. Yes alot of what has been said here is true, in that you can get ripped off by people who are only after your money and do not care about the product they are selling and or care about you. It is risky sending money to someone you have never met and no nothing about hafe way around the world. All I can say in defense of this is that for me it has worked, worked and worked many times over. The reason is simple. it all comes down to respect. Respecting yourself and respecting the people you deal with. I arrived in Japan 2 years ago from Australia with no knowledge of this industry and was looking for a Job and Job to help me wife support her Mother who was very ill. I went to an interview and got a job with a Xporting company and there began my education on this industry and how if you have respect for your customers that it can be a very rewarding experiance for all concerned.
I have not realy delt with Customers in Canada but understand the same issues you face as most of my customers were in Australia and that country until this year had the same 15 year rule in place (cars 15 years or older can not come into the country) Australia has since shut that down and now only cars made before 1/1/89 can come in ( As far as I know Australia now has some of the oldest cars on the road)
So saying this something has happened which you should be aware of. the price for 89/90 cars here in Japan has dropped ( not so much the GTR Skyline but it has a bit) so you should now be able to get the cars you want cheaper, that is if the people/supplier/Broker you are dealing with has respect for you there customer.
When I deal with customers my moto is simple, I would rather sell you 100 cars than just 1.
End of Rant.
Cheers

bonzelite 10-11-2005 10:25 PM

by the way, to be totally clear, it was not me who wrote the "rant" thing at the "end note" section. that's someone else. but his words are very wise. so i offered them.

VERTICALSLIK 10-11-2005 10:29 PM

wow quite a post. well i get alot of my info from http://www.japan-partner.com/ and i think there good, but idk. tell me more about this ship to canada, bring back to us thing please

bonzelite 10-11-2005 10:40 PM

to cross reference myself:
http://forums.gtrforums.com/showthre...6&page=2&pp=10

there are many ways to get a skyline here. but not many ways to drive it *legally*.

VERTICALSLIK 10-12-2005 08:19 PM

yea, i can get one imported to canada and just bring it back here, not registering it, then work on it, get new parts for it, etc. or i can get it disasembled by the importer, but i wouldnt be able to put it back together. but if i did, then register it as a kit car.

Real GTR 10-12-2005 09:18 PM

yea, i can get one imported to canada and just bring it back here, not registering it, then work on it, get new parts for it, etc. or i can get it disasembled by the importer, but i wouldnt be able to put it back together. but if i did, then register it as a kit car.

Doing it that way is still illegal because a kit car can't be a manufactured vehicle which a skyline is. You would still have to register it. You maybe able to get away with it if you keep it off the streets though.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/kitcar.htm

VERTICALSLIK 10-13-2005 12:21 AM

really? i didnt know that, well i could just wait till the 25 year mark is up, i guess

bonzelite 10-13-2005 12:27 AM

i learned some more things tonight:

if you're in cali, you must have both a registered importer bring it in, as well as a "broker." and the only companies that are one and the same here (in socal) are, yes, you guessed it ------>MotoRex and RBMotoring.

if you are in any other state, you can have ANY importer bring it in to say, florida, and you can have the car brought in and carried off on a flatbed. but you cannot legalize it. to transport it to california, i have no idea how you will get it across the border. being that they really only check you here for agriculture, they may just waive you in. they probably won't care what the car is. they may not even be looking for such a thing. this way, you can keep the car assembled.

or, at port of los angeles, you can have the car pre-stripped to the skeleton, without motor or anything, and you can have that shell allowed in, no matter where you are. even in california. the car is inoperable this way, considered salvage junk.

you can then, as i've said before, ship the other pieces over later, then reassemble the car here in your garage, or someone who will do it for you. you can then flatbed the car to local dragways or tracks, under a non-sanctioned event (like a night where you just pay twenty bucks and take drag or auto-x runs --cars are flatbedded to tracks this way all of the time). and you can run the car this way. but you must trailer it in order to get it anywhere.

in light of the current embargo to the united states of all 15yr old or newer skylines, this may be the only way to avert paying huge sums of money and getting your pick of the car before it ages even more, becoming more scarce or beat up. but the compromise is that you cannot drive it on public roads whatsoever. you CAN, though, once you have your "prize," wait for TEN more years! then, at this time, you can drive it anywhere. as the 25 year rule will be in your favor.

or you can buy an old R30 skyline and import that one without any hindrance. all you pay for is the actual car and shipping costs. that's it.

there's ways to do things. it is a matter of what way you want. and what way you can handle.

bonzelite 10-13-2005 12:44 AM

something to consider. this may not be anything, but i bought my S14 in Albany, NY as a salvage titled vehicle. i posted a thing on one of the threads here once about my experience at the DMV here in Van Nuys, CA (adjacent to North Hollywood where i live). it was about the other car, the Galant VR-4.

now, both cars had "issues" that i thought i'd get in trouble for, and did not. the S14 was ugly, had incorrect "equipment." it had missing blinkers in the front. the front clip was slapped on, with the bumper fascia flapping in the wind. it looked like hell (not anymore, mind you, i had her fixed to A-1 shape). it had a rear impact that crumpled the trunk in a little bit. the car had wires hangning out the front from the missing blinkers. one the tail lights was smashed out. had no front plate. i was nearly convinced they'd stop me at the border, and they did not. i just got waived on through. and the car stood out like a sore thumb. it had mismatched primerd panels everywhere. missing fender liners. etc.

the VR-4 was completely illegal to drive. it had no cat, a gigantic and LOUD exhaust. all pollution control was removed --ALL. the engine bay is stripped down to the basic parts. and many of those parts were obviously for racing. and they popped the hood. and i was convinced i was "had." nope --all they checked was that the VIN#s matched on the dash, on the door jamb, and on the EPA sticker under the hood, and on the title. that's it. they just wanted to see NUMBERS MATCHING. they didn't give one damn about anything else.

however, a skyline is not a plain jane sleeper GVR-4 with 4 doors. and in some ways, my then-beat up S14 --maybe because it looked like hell, it was "ok"? ? or it was unassuming? it had lots of black primered parts in the front. it looked sort of generic, like it could be anything but nothing.

i expected the authorities to come down on me like a hammer. and they did not.

bonzelite 10-13-2005 12:58 AM

choices

really? i didnt know that, well i could just wait till the 25 year mark is up, i guess

yes. but if you wait until then, the pick of good cars will be ten years delayed. you can get one now, get it over here, and at least you have it. you'd have to really be in it for the long haul, though. always that car will be anchoring your movement unless you are already settled down with a home and garage and property and career and investments. if you're a kid, you will do a lot of changing between now and the time your 30, and come up short on cash and resources with greater probability (unless you're rich. then if that is the case, buying from MotoRex is not an issue).

VERTICALSLIK 10-13-2005 10:30 AM

man, sooo much info, well i want to get the car as soon as possible, i would probobly get it imported to canada, go there to pick it up, and try and bring it to cali, and then wait 10 years, or move to canada... but that would be alot just for a car, but im willing. maybe when i move out i can just go straight to canada

bonzelite 10-13-2005 10:06 PM

i found out more stuff today.

if you get a car thru canada to the USA, you can never legalize it really. you must first ship it back to japan, to it's broker of origin, and have that broker do paperwork. otherwise, in cali, forget it.

in short, unless you go through RB or MotoRx, you cannot legalize a car in california. period. end of story.

but you can in other states. and the car must enter port of entry from a japanese or australian broker as point of origin. without proof of that, you cannot register or legalize it.

VERTICALSLIK 10-14-2005 10:05 AM

man california sux lol, geeze, im gonna have to move. i was planning on moving to canada anyway.

bonzelite 10-14-2005 11:13 AM

it's all about MONEY.

VERTICALSLIK 10-21-2005 10:15 AM

yea that sux, im kinda short on that