Other Cars Talk about other cars besides the GTR in here.

Lotus Esprit turbo: foreshadowing perhaps

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 11:12 PM
GTR Senior Member

Lotus Esprit turbo: foreshadowing perhaps

as it is no secret that Lotus will basically engineer the GTR's suspension dynamics, i cannot resist paralleling the similarities of the two cars (and differences).

notice the striking similarities in the "benchmarks." pay attention to cc displacement, weight, bhp, price, etc... ---they seem suspiciously similar to what the GTR will embody.

therefore, i draw the inference that the GTR may be more than just a suspension "venue" for Lotus. i think the GTR is modeled after the Esprit, at least in loose premise; perhaps, moreso than any press coverage has yet to admit; it makes sense: to globalize the GTR, Nissan knows that it needs to offer a broader appeal than a product for the brutally-serious driving-machine enthusiast crowd. they need an "agile and soft brute" --exactly what Lotus is renown for.

except for the mid-V8 of the Esprit, many key features seem destined for the Infinity GTR. looking over the Esprit character profile below, you could almost be talking about the GTR, generally.

from the Esprit fact-file site, i quote here:
http://www.espritfactfile.com/Articles.html

"Elementary physics suggest that more power and less weight will make a car faster, all else like gears, tires and aerodynamics being equal. At less than four feet high, an Esprit is acceptably slick, the 285/35ZR-18s on the back have substantial grip, and gearing is fully appropriate. And even when saddled with the weight of luxury appointments, the Esprit just tops the 3000-lb mark.*

Right behind the driver and ahead of the rear wheels, exactly where many would argue it should be for a sports car, is the engine. About the size of a 27-in. television, and under 500 lb fully dressed with starter, air conditioner and two water-cooled Garrett turbos, is a 3.5-liter 4-cam V-8.* Hooked to a twin-disc clutch and a 5-speed transaxle, and revved up to 6500 rpm, it generates 350 bhp and will fire the lightweight Lotus to 60 mph in under 4.5 sec, and to 100 mph before many cars reach half that speed. Terminal velocity is 175 mph, at which point you are happy to compromise rearward visibility with that big wings stability.

Figures like this mandate superior handling, a Lotus hallmark from the companys inception. Coil sprung all around, the Esprit uses upper and lower control arms, an anti-roll bar, and rack-and-pinion steering up front, with trailing arms and lateral links in the rear. Though it will change direction and go round the bends at ridiculous speeds, it remains compliant enough to drive until the tank empties. Very large Michelin Pilots clear very large Brembo vented discs and transmit all this energy to the pavement.

Despite its age, but given the occasional facelift, the Esprit looks distinctive. The angular edges, "ear scoops" behind the doors and deep chin spoiler are both aesthetic and effective. The interior provides a high degree of amenities including polished walnut, leather and an Alpine sound system. Accommodations for two are provided, and those drivers over six feet will be firmly ensconced in the cabin.

The Lotus Esprit does not have the brute force of a Viper, nor the wail of a Ferrari V-12, but will put up a respectable showing against either. Whether you prefer the sophisticated finesse of the Colin Chapman racing heritage, or just want to put numbers on the side of it, a twin-turbo Esprit is a sports car of the first order.

Quickfacts
MODEL MSRP ENGINE TRANS ABS SEATS A/C
Esprit V8 est $85,675 V-8t 5M STD 2 STD

Specifications
Layout rwd
Wheelbase 96.0 in.
Track, f/r 60.2/60.8 in.
Length 172.0 in.
Width 73.5 in.
Height 45.3 in.
Curb weight 3043 lb
Base engine 350-bhp
twin-turbo dohc32V V-8
Bore x stroke 83.0 x 81.0 mm
Displacement 3506cc
Compression ratio 8.0:1
Horsepower, SAE net 350 bhp @ 6500rpm
Torque 295 lb-ft @ 4250rpm
Fuel econ, city/hwy 15/23 mpg
Optional engine(s) none
Transmission 5M
Suspension, f/r ind/ind
Brakes, f/r disc/disc, ABS
Tires 235/40ZR-17 (f)
285/40ZR-18(r)
Luggage capacity 5.4 cu ft.
Fuel capacity 19.3 gal.
Warranty, years/miles:
Bumper-to-bumper 2/unlimited
Powertrain 2/unlimited
Rust-through 8/unlimited

Last edited by bonzelite; 06-05-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:09 AM
GTR Senior Member

also, adding to the nimble/ lightness point, if i recall correctly, the GT-R will be lighter than the 350Z ( i think. either that car, or the current V35) --a point that brought me pause.

"...And even when saddled with the weight of luxury appointments, the Esprit just tops the 3000-lb mark."

Nissan is mimicking the Lotus "paradigm." this upcoming car, the new GT-R, is going to be pretty dayum amazing.