GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R  Community

GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R Community (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/off-topic-28/)
-   -   Socal DMV experience about visual inspection (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/off-topic-28/socal-dmv-experience-about-visual-inspection-278/)

bonzelite 09-27-2005 10:22 PM

Socal DMV experience about visual inspection

excerpts from the thread of the basic point here:

first post, the premise:

bonzelite
posted 09/08/05 12:20 AM

my VR4 is modded. when you pop the hood, you can tell it is not stock. will it pass the visual inspection? california requires a visual inspection for any out-of-state-purchased cars. mine is from nebraksa, and i live in socal. the DMV here is like adolf hitler. what can i do to make them overlook the mods? does it matter? should i put the factory air box back on?

i have a smog "passed" report. so that is fine. but now i fear i will fail the visual. anyone have experience with this?

belize green pavement-eater 1954/2000
quality over quantity
Posts: 156 | From: north hollywood, ca | Registered: 08/26/04 | IP: |

-----------------
then a post prior to my "resolution," then my resolution post:

SGTdave
Nicest GGSX on the planet
posted 09/11/05 01:54 AM

Quote:
"unless the car is a salvage title, i don't think they require a visual."

yes they, "California", does.

1990 JDM'Yo Galant GSX, future mods 2.3L ... turbo ^_^ - Daly
I want a set of 18inch VOLK SE37K's!!!!!!
1989 StarQuest MPI, Garrett Turbo - AutoX

Posts: 767 | From: San Diego, Ca. | Registered: 11/09/04 | IP: |
-----------------

bonzelite
posted 09/16/05 03:37 AM

yeah, you're right. they wanted a visual no matter what. today, with apprehension, i finally went and had it done:

i just said "f$%k it," and just took the car down to the DMV. i had my smog check already done (passed), the title, the bill of sale. i had to fill out a "verification form" once i was there. anyway, the DMV thing was a cake walk; they registered the car, and i payed for it. then they said "ok, the car needs to get verified. drive it around there and wait your turn."

so i got in line with my car, waited, and saw the checking guy doing his thing. he was reading the VIN#s on the cars to cross-check that they matched all paper work, and all numbers on the car itself. he had the people ahead of me pop their hoods. and that's when i got scared.

"****. he's going to see all of the modifications, and he's going to have a cop look at it..." time seemed to slow down. the wait was eternal. and i had fear.

but all he was doing was checking to see if the factory sticker under the hood, with all EPA info and manufacturer's info, matched the VIN# on the dash and on the driver's side door jamb. that was it! --he didn't give one damn about the engine! in fact, he didn't even look at it! he didn't check the lights, or even have me start the car. he only wanted numbers.

he checked me off as "passed," handed me the document, with the rest of my papers, and he told me to go back inside to complete the filing.

so i parked the car back again, walked back in the DMV with a huge grin, went back to the window i was originally assigned to, and the guy at the window looked at all my papers, shuffled them and filed them, then handed me the california plates with tags.

my VR-4 is LEGAL!!

if my car can pass with all pollution control removed, which is visually obvious, and i'm in california, then don't worry. they didn't even care one iota. all they wanted to know was 1)if the car passed smog, and 2) if it was a salvage title or stolen vehicle.

now i can drive her around without paranoia.

belize green pavement-eater 1954/2000
quality over quantity
Posts: 156 | From: north hollywood, ca | Registered: 08/26/04 | IP: |