GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R  Community

GTR Forums - Nissan Skyline GT-R Community (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/)
-   GTRForums News & Rumors (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/gtrforums-news-rumors-31/)
-   -   Nissan Attempts To Muzzle Japan Market GTR's (https://www.gtrforums.com/forums/gtrforums-news-rumors-31/nissan-attempts-muzzle-japan-market-gtrs-907/)

spt 02-25-2008 02:58 PM

Nissan Attempts To Muzzle Japan Market GTR's

From MotorTrend: CLICK HERE

Though it'll cost you: Once the track day is over, owners who have run their GT-Rs over the speed limit are required to take them to a preapproved Nissan High Performance Center for a safety check. Failure to perform this $1000 service will void the factory warranty.

As for the wheel and tire rumor: That the factory wheels cannot be removed without sending an error code to the ECU, MINE'S has proven this myth wrong. It's been able to take off wheels, rotate them, and even change to higher-performance, non-run-flat tires. It did have to take the wheels to the Nissan dealership to get the job done at great expense; MINE'S ended up paying about $230 per wheel in labor.

Putting aftermarket rims on a GT-R is different story: Because of a sensor located near the valve stem in each wheel, it isn't possible for the car to run on aftermarket rims without throwing an error code. All blinged-out GT-Rs at Auto Salon got there on stockers and only then were the shoes changed.

Some mild mods are possible: MINE'S has modified the exhaust system and a replacement air-filter element, both of which have reportedly made substantial extra power. It's also upgraded the brake rotors and switched to GT-R's suspension system to a coil-over system with no ECU problems.

But not all: MINE'S has tried replacing the factory air box and intake system with a high-flow cone-style system, but found its car will not run right. Raising the boost pressure on the twin turbos, a common way to increase power, also triggered errors in the extremely sensitive ECU.

There is hope for the hot-rodders: MINE'S is rumored to be the first tuner to crack the GT-R ECU. And though Niikura-san admits his ECU modification is a work in progress, he was able to demonstrate the following during our recent visit. MINE'S gave us a performance demonstration with two GT-Rs, one stock, the other modified by MINE'S. The modified GT-R was able to run at 192.6 mph (310 kph) while the factory spec GT-R was unable to go past 111.8 mph. Niikura-san told us he's in the last stages of overcoming the boost and speed limit as well as making it possible to make adjustments to VTC (variable cam timing system), air/fuel ratio and throttle position. Since our visit, reports have surfaced that MINE'S has just released a version of its VX-ROM product designed to override the ECU's limiter function.

More good news: For all the GT-R's stunning performance, it's hard to understand why any enthusiast in Japan would purchase a GT-R given all the restrictions and headaches. We seem to be in the clear, though; our sources at Nissan USA have told us no such GPS-based speed limiters will be placed on U.S.-spec GT-Rs, though it's unclear where we stand with the rest of the limitations.

Check back with us for more GT-R news as it becomes available.

Oglethorp 02-25-2008 04:01 PM

Wow, good find. Sounds like alot of things will be working well once we receive the car here.

rmatt8748 02-25-2008 04:38 PM

as time progresses and more and more things become electronic (what isn't these days) it seems that modification will be harder and harder, and it will require development of complex software

open source ECU's FTW

blkevo8 02-28-2008 05:27 PM

Good article. Cant wait to see a few in Vegas!! Im sure they will be roaming the strip soon enough.

NERDJustBNME 03-01-2008 02:20 PM

Great article....absolutley have to pass this on to possible clients

rmatt8748 03-01-2008 10:21 PM

yes restrictions and headaches, but its for the continuation of a ledgend

bonzelite 03-03-2008 01:38 PM

I've read that people have experimented with swapping the sensors on the wheels onto aftermarket wheels. So there is hope there.

Overall it appears the R35 is harder and more expensive to tune than prior GT-Rs.

rmatt8748 03-03-2008 02:42 PM

Overall it appears the R35 is harder and more expensive to tune than prior GT-Rs.

i guess that's just how it goes as more and more technology goes into these cars

bonzelite 03-03-2008 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by rmatt8748 (Post 5026)
i guess that's just how it goes as more and more technology goes into these cars

Yep, the more these cars, any of them from Ferraris to Camrys, become more electronic/sensor/relay/ECU domintated, the more complex they become and the more we may see dealer-only services and parts.

Yet in time, as this new technology becomes old, you'll see tuner shops offering upgrades that catch up to the pace of the emerging technology.

Back in 1989 when the R32 GT-R emerged, it was among the most advanced road cars of the time (and to some extent still is). People flipped out over it. But look at how the aftermarket exploded and offered everything under the sun for it.

I think a similar thing may happen with the R35. It's just so new at the moment that people are flipping out again. Give it a few years and we may see prices come down and technology become just as dated.

Although, I still think it will be expensive anyway. Typically, buying a part here, a part there, eventually adds up and becomes very expensive. And since the R35 will remain relatively low in production numbers, the parts will simply not be as duplicated as you see for Maximas and Sentras.

It's a supercar afterall and not cheap to begin with. And the prices will be "super."

rmatt8748 03-03-2008 05:42 PM

yeah, all very good points bonzlite

well put, and it makes good sense. tuners are progressing, but with few numbers of the cars made there isn't as much of an economy of scale

i think it's pretty cool to see what they have already done

when i think of this, i think of the progress bmw has made, they offer through dinan, a (albeit very expensive) tuning package for the 335i, some companies are going more in one way, and others more in the other (of pro vs. anti tuning)