General General forums for the GTR community.

How can we improve GTRforums?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

How can we improve GTRforums?

Hello everyone,

My name is Seth, and I'm a new moderator here. I wanted to introduce myself and start getting involved with GTRforums.

I would love to hear from those of you who are viewing this site about what the staff can do to improve the community and entice you to begin posting more.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have, we're here to listen!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

The 18th annual Evo/DSM Shootout
Words and photography by Seth Hester

Throughout twelve years of 4G63 enthusiasm and ownership, four Evos and a DSM, I had never been to the DSM/Evo Shootout. Recently, I was able to interview David here: http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-gen...t-article.html (this is also a link to the discussion thread). When we talked about doing a site feature on the Shootout, he invited me to Norwalk, because the only correct way to write about it would be to actually experience it.

I was glad to accept, and my friend Andrew (formerly of Dyno4mance) and I were in my car traveling to Ohio two weeks later. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect. I've been into these cars for years, and I envisioned Buschur Racing as some kind of Evo nirvana. Mitsubishi diamonds would fall from the sky, I would hear 4G63s and 4B11s in THX, and everyone there would drink C16 instead of coffee. Imagine my surprise, then, when we exited the interstate and saw... countryside. Lots and lots of countryside and mostly empty roads. Coming around a bend in mock tarmac rally qualification, the sight of an Amish horse and buggy stopped us dead in our tracks. I wondered if we turned the wrong way off the interstate. As we drew closer to Norwalk, I started to see a few Mitsubishis.

The next day coming into Wakeman, everything changed immediately. It was only 9am in the morning, but there were already 4G63 powered cars parked everywhere. The city of Wakeman literally shuts down the street in front of the shop, and becomes host for a giant car show and dyno day.

Buschur Racing is a complete facility. There is a showroom, a phone area for sales and customer service, a dyno cell, and they do their own parts designing and manufacturing on the grounds. This place really is a one-stop-shop for the DSM/Evo enthusiast. My first Evo VIII turbo-back came from Buschur Racing, and in addition to good power gains, I received great customer service and fast shipping.

The vendors were set up next to the shop, and the food was phenomenal. They had sausage, brats, pizza, soft drinks, slushes, and more. There was no need to leave to eat.

The Evolution II in this picture was spun just over 10,000rpm and made 941whp on the dyno. It revs slowly until almost 7k, then the turbo comes on like a sledge hammer. The last 3000rpm went by very fast.

4g63girl's (STM/Street Tuned Motorsports) very clean Evo VIII

After a fun day at Buschur's, we ate dinner in Sandusky. Southerners take note, restaurants in Ohio don't serve sweet tea, and they'll look at you as if you are insane if you try to order it. At that point, it was dark outside and we decided to cruise into Norwalk. There were Evos and DSMs all over the place, and people were very friendly, honking and waving. The camaraderie is awesome, because everyone loves the same kinds of cars you do. Maybe this was Evo nirvana after all!

The hotels are filled with cars, and the people sit outside, socialize, eat and drink together, and watch others drive by. There were a few guys acting a little crazy on the street, but the police were all over them in a hurry. One quick 2G had mechanical trouble instead of police trouble when he goosed the throttle past the crowds. Later, we saw him stuck on the side of the road about a mile down with his hood up and hot coolant steam pouring out.

The next day was the shootout itself. Andrew and I arrived early, which turned out to be a good idea since shortly after traffic was lining down the highway from people waiting to get into the dragstrip. Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk is an awesome track with a helpful staff. It is extremely clean, very well maintained, and is probably the nicest dragstrip I've ever been to. All the cars that weren't at the show the prior day at Buschur's came out of hiding from their trailers for the main event.

We headed over to Max Effort, where the members of David's Highboostforum had decided on an event where there would be an autocross and a drag race, so the car with the lowest combined time would win each class. There, I finally was able to meet David, so Andrew and I asked if we could make ourselves useful. It turned out that wind from the night before had blown most all of the cones over, so we helped duct tape wheel weights into all the cones, and some of the other guys helping with Max Effort set them back up.

Cars at tech for the autocross portion of Max Effort.

Hiboost's wicked One Lap Evo X

Cars on track autocrossing. The track started with a slalom. A few of the higher powered cars had quite a bit of wheelspin here.

The drag portion was the main event, and seeing all these cars in action was just insane. I've seen a couple local Evos run high tens, but tens were the norm at the shootout! Tens, nines, eights, fast 4G63 powered car after car were staging at the tree. The sheer number of cars that trapped higher than 135mph was mind boggling to me.

The respectfulness of the participants continued at the track. Guys that had mechanical failures immediately stopped on track so the cleanup crew could get the mess picked up easily and the action resumed quickly.

Results of the different Max Effort and drag racing classes are here on Buschur's site: 18th-Annual-DSM-EVO-Shootout-results-thread
In the lanes, ready for mayhem!

I know it took many hours of work for the crew to pull this off. Caleb from CBRD told me the Buschur guys call it “hell week”, and it was very easy to see why.

David says that this event is bigger than Bushur Racing, as it is really all about the fans. And this is true. If you are an Evo/DSM enthusiast, and have never been to a shootout, it is high time you head up to northern Ohio and check this event out next summer! There's even a water park and roller coaster park in Sandusky if you want to bring your family!

Special thanks to David Buschur, Buschur Racing, the towns of Wakeman and Norwalk, and all the fans for the best car fun weekend I've had in a very long time!

Last edited by Noize; 08-19-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 PM

Allows images in the signature.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 PM

Seth welcome!
the site looks nice man.
keep up the good work.

also maybe make announcements on gtr meet and greets?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:24 AM

Seth,

I'm an ex motorcycle roadracer and motocrosser that has a commuter/track C5 Z06. I know the upgrades I needed to make the car dependable at elevated track speeds(not the fastest advanced/racer group street car at every trackday, but usually near the fastest). I am also familiar with what is needed to keep a C6 Z06 dependable at the same level.

I came to this forum looking for real world info on how GTR's are holding up at the track at the same level. Unfortunately that info is in short supply. I don't know what makes a forum attract more members or provide better service but my guess is availability of information.

I know the GTR is a newer car so that may be why there are so few members and so little activity. It might just take time. Maybe a more specific auto X, trackday, and road racing section. I know that would make me check here more often. Maybe some sort of marketing campaign to expose the forum to more people would work.

One thing that I don't like is the bragging and bickering about how great a GTR is compared to every other car. I also realize that for a lot of people it is entertaining so maybe it helps, you know, in a Jerry Springer or Maury sort of way.

If I were you I would look at the demographics of the current users and figure ways to expand that market. Then look for other groups that might expand that group. ie, if you median user is a 23-30 year old male, market to the 30-45 year old crowd. You have to figure that most people with $80,000+ to spend on a car are going to be a little older. Since I'm a little older I know I get the impression of a lot of immaturity in many of the posts.

Oh, do something big on meets and get togethers. That usually brings more dedicated users. Hand out stickers at those get togethers.

Just a few ideas on how to improve the forum. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find the info I'm looking for on how GTR's are holding up and what's needed to keep them running at advanced group speeds that would be great.

Thanks,

Dog