Business & Investments Talk about Investment strategies, Business ideas, General financial advice, etc.

Investment Portfolio Advice???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:59 PM
GTR Member

Investment Portfolio Advice???

Is anyone having any luck in this tough market? Any advice on long term Growth type stocks?

Mutual funds generally are over priced and have short sited management strategies!

Individual stocks are much more risky but can yield better results without the management fees or hidden costs.

With the world economy starting to shift ADRs are getting more popular.

Gold has been a pretty safe bet now in battling our inflation.

Anyone else care to throw in some ideas or comments?

-Nate

Last edited by GTRNate; 04-15-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 PM
GTR Member

With the Olympics coming up soon these are some great ADRs to look at in China:

CHL - This is a Chinese Mobile phone ADR think of the potential growth with all of these people starting to make better incomes. Also most Chinese people don't own personal computers their Cell phones serve that purpose. Not many people have hard lines in China and new housing isn't even being pre-wired for land lines.

FMCN - One of the biggest advertisement Companies in China. Lots of potential here.

HMIN - These are chains of hotels that are very nice but not your typical over priced chains. Look for this to do well for the bargain shoppers looking for deals.

CTRP - Trip planning company. This ADR is doing very well.

YUM - Food and restaurants, people have to eat right!

EDU - They are training translators for tourists coming to china.

These are some possible gems... Anyone else care to share some?

-Nate
Old 04-15-2008, 10:08 PM

Wait a second....

You ask for advice on investments then you answer your own post??
Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Wait a second....

You ask for advice on investments then you answer your own post??
I feel that if you give you will receive...

There are a lot of successful/ intelligent people on this site maybe some shared thoughts could help out.

My investments will pay for my GT-R, if they ever sell at MSRP that is.

-Nate

Last edited by GTRNate; 04-15-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by GTRNate
Is anyone having any luck in this tough market? Any advice on long term Growth type stocks?

Mutual funds generally are over priced and have short sited management strategies!

Individual stocks are much more risky but can yield better results without the management fees or hidden costs.

With the world economy starting to shift ADRs are getting more popular.

Gold has been a pretty safe bet now in battling our inflation.

Anyone else care to throw in some ideas or comments?

-Nate
If you day trade you might be able to eek out a few bucks.

The markets are horrible; I have gone from 24% last years to -1% this year.

I have 'savvy' friends who have gone liquid; I personally shifted to government bonds and securities within the Wells Fargo Investment Group; I probably will be looking at 2 - 3 % maximum ROI this year.

If you don't have the time to follow closely, I would not recommend. You'll make more in a long-term CD paying 4.5%.

I generally will only day-trade in areas that I have an acute understanding of the product and market forces specific to that investment category, i.e. pharmaceutical companies. I will read prospectus, learn the company, products, competition, distribution networks, other products in class, clinical trial data from FDA and other.

It seems that the markets in US (and we are now essentially a global economy) will not see an upswing until at the earliest 4th quarter, and that is very optimistic.

Good Luck.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 AM
spt
GTR Senior Member

I've been pretty successful investing in solar companies. Right now it's hard to play with the market because it seems as though emotions are playing a bigger role then actual #'s. So far I've been able to sustain a 33% return investing in solar companies.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by spt
I've been pretty successful investing in solar companies. Right now it's hard to play with the market because it seems as though emotions are playing a bigger role then actual #'s. So far I've been able to sustain a 33% return investing in solar companies.
Ali, Those are great numbers 33% would make me happy, do you have any shares of LDK??? IMHO, you should keep a long term stance on those solar shares and you will make a killing. I plan to build a fully functioning green home next as the people start following this "necessary" trend. Then the prices will start coming down making it more affordable to everyone.

Phoenix, My problem with Cd's is the fact that they are taxed as regular income and it bumps me up to a different tax bracket with the gains. I have 2 Cd's this quarter maturing one that was 6.00% APY and the other @ 5.88% APY. I made enough just on Cd's and investing to have to pay more taxes to the government last year which was a little frustrating.

I hope that we are out of the "R" word by the end of the 4th quarter but I agree that that may be a little too optimistic for now.

-Nate

Last edited by GTRNate; 04-16-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 AM
spt
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by GTRNate
Ali, Those are great numbers 33% would make me happy, do you have any shares of LDK??? IMHO, you should keep a long term stance on those solar shares and you will make a killing. I plan to build a fully functioning green home next as the people start following this "necessary" trend. Then the prices will start coming down making it more affordable to everyone.

Phoenix, My problem with Cd's is the fact that they are taxed as regular income and it bumps me up to a different tax bracket with the gains. I have 2 Cd's this quarter maturing one that was 6.00% APY and the other @ 5.88 APY. I made enough just on Cd's and investing to have to pay more taxes to the government last year which was a little frustrating.

-Nate

Actually yes LDK was a great performer until the analysts messed everything up. I think the better one is STP. The company is more stable and their eps is really positive. Before the big dip in the market I bought STP at $42 per share and sold it at $85 per share. Long term is a good solution but with the way this market is playing out it makes it a tough game of will.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 AM
GTR Member

The bad thing IMHO about Cd's/ U.S. Government bonds/ U.S. stocks/ etc... Is that I am Bearish on the "greenback", the U.S. Dollar is still inflated and I think overvalued even at this current time. So although you may be able to pull 4.5% interest on your dollars, they will loose more of their value on exchange of material goods representing a greater loss on what you have made and what the government will admit inflation really is.

That is why I am looking outside of our shores until we can get someone in office with fiscal responsibility in their head to cut down on our multi-Trillion dollar deficit owed to China/ Japan and many other countries.

Until then I am trying to find some safe bets off our shores to hedge my risks against inflation and a declining Fiat currency.

-Nate

Last edited by GTRNate; 04-16-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by spt
Actually yes LDK was a great performer until the analysts messed everything up. I think the better one is STP. The company is more stable and their eps is really positive. Before the big dip in the market I bought STP at $42 per share and sold it at $85 per share. Long term is a good solution but with the way this market is playing out it makes it a tough game of will.
Short term holdings - are very smart if you have the time to watch and can somewhat predict how things will pan out based on current and upcoming news about the stock. The negatives are the higher tax rates on the shorter stock holdings. But, it seems like you made enough of a spread to have alleviated any worries about your taxes.

Long term holdings - I prefer, for their simplicity but will admit in today's market that way of thinking is very risky and dangerous. That is why I am focused so heavily on trying to find ADRs or foreign currencies funds, or even Gold stocks to protect my hard earned money against that deadly killing disease called "inflation".

-Nate

Last edited by GTRNate; 04-16-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Investment Portfolio Advice???