Since it seems that the information on the LEGAL importation of the nissan skyline into the US is scattered all over these forums, I thought it would be a good idea to try and put them into order in one nice thread. Here is a current list of links to the DOT/NHTSA/EPA sites with information pertaining to the importation of either specifically the Nissan Skyline, or the general information of vehicle importation of vehicles NOT manufactured in the US. These are the FACTS in black and white. Please do not post too many comments here, however feel free to post any link I may have left out, or any new ones as they become available.
Some key information to remember before going nuts on trying to import a nissan skyline to US soil:
1. Just because a company is listed as an Registered Importer and is able to bring in a Nissan Skyline by law, DOES NOT mean said company can make that car street legal.
2. Importing a Nissan Skyline as a so-called "Kit Car" is NOT legal. (just read the link to the reg on this page)
3. Mororex is now defunct and can no longer import skylines.
List of all Registered Importers (updated regularly by the NHTSA):
Importation and Certification FAQ'a from NHTSA:
NHTSA vehicle eligibility List:
Importing vehicles and engines as outlined by the EPA:
Non Resident, Returning Military, and Returning Official Government Employee Importations of Personal Vehicle for Personal Use:
For those of you living in California and have to deal with CARB:
EPA Kit Car Policy:
Personal Note: These are the FACTS as stated on these links by government agencies. I would love to see the Nissan Skyline available for street use in the US without the hassle of all the BS. However, I am for obeying the law, and in so doing, it would be illegal to import a skyline at this time and drive it on the road. I want one so bad it hurts, but I'm not willing to take the chance of having my car confiscated and either shipped back to japan, or demolished. Spending the kind of money you would on getting one here would not be worth it. You have the potential to lose over $40K easy. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't part with that kind of money very easily.
Only Legal way to own a Nissan Skyline for legal road use:
1. Find a legal sale of a previously motorex made legal skyline.
2. Wait for the new GTR to become availble.
3. Wait for the 25 year law on vehicle importation to come around.
That's it people. Good Luck! Drive Safe! Do It Right!! (and legal)
(if I have missed anything, just ad a reply with the link attached)