General General forums for the GTR community.

Features of your GTR will VOID WARRANTY

Old 07-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rmatt8748
well camaro, i'll take it back, you're fair I just wasn't sure, you're an active member, so props to you

i'll see you out there, thanks for adding to the site

best,

rmatt

thanks rmatt
Old 07-30-2008, 08:30 PM
GTR Member

Here is an old 'BMW & Driver ' article I'm sure you all seen:

2009 Nissan GT-R Ownership Myths Dispelled - Car News

There’s no speed limiter, the tires won’t wear out in 3000 miles, and Nissan even picks up some of the service costs.

April 2008

You’ve likely already read the various rumors flying around the Internet about the GT-R’s steep ownership costs; that it has a speed limiter unless you’re at a Nissan-approved track; and that tires can only be replaced four at a time. We heard these things, too, courtesy of a tire supplier to GT-R, so we called up Nissan and got to the bottom of it. Most of the gloom-and-doom hype is unfounded. See below for our questions and Nissan’s responses.

Rumor 1: Nissan’s GPS will only allow full-speed operation in the U.S. at Nissan-approved tracks.

There is no speed limiter on the U.S. spec GT-R unless you count the rev limiter.

Rumor 2: Once a vehicle has been run an approved track, it must be subjected to a post-track safety inspection at a Nissan dealer (brake fluid, suspension, tires, drivetrain, other checks), at an estimated cost of $1,000. Otherwise the warranty is voided.

It is a very good idea to inspect a car of the GT-R’s potential after spending time on a track to verify that everything is still within specifications and not worn. We are investigating offering this type of post-track inspection service to GT-R owners in the U.S. in order to provide the type of customer service some GT-R owners will want. Track use will not void the warranty. However, the warranty will not cover repairs required due to misuse, including operation in violation of applicable laws or racing.

Rumor 3: The vehicle is set up from the factory with suspension settings for track use, with very high negative camber in the front and substantial toe-in at the rear. If the car is driven on the street with the factory settings the tires will only last 3000–5000 miles, and inner tire wear in the front will be substantial within 1000 miles. The settings may be changed from factory settings for street use prior to delivery, however.

The normal front camber setting is just over 1 degree negative. There is a small amount of flexibility in the setting, so if a customer wants to maximize tire wear they can request slightly less negative camber. The rear toe setting is between 1 and 2 mm total toe-in. While these settings are more aggressive than most cars, they are not extreme. The car provides amazing performance and you wouldn’t expect it to behave like a typical car. Driving style and road surfaces will greatly affect tire life, so it is very difficult to estimate. However, the tread life of some of our test tires has exceeded 10,000 miles in typical street driving. Of course, track usage will definitely diminish tire life.

Rumor 4: The brakes are some type of ceramic composite, and a brake job will cost upwards of $3000.

The GT-R brakes use conventional materials. The brakes have full-floating two-piece rotors. The outer rotor is cast iron and the hub or hat is aluminum. The pads are also conventional materials. They are large Brembos—15-inch rotors front and rear, six-piston calipers front and four-piston rear—so they won’t be inexpensive, but they provide phenomenal stopping performance. We don’t expect a 500-hp engine to cost the same as a 300-hp engine, so we wouldn’t expect 500–hp brakes to cost the same as 300-hp brakes. We don’t have final pricing on the parts yet so we can’t say for certain how much they’ll cost.

Last edited by ultima00; 07-30-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:28 PM
GTR Senior Member

thanks for the info ultima, makes a lot of sense
Old 08-01-2008, 06:52 AM
GTR Senior Member

To add to the black box being secure, I believe that cobb tuning's access port does not leave a foot print in the stock ecu that it was ever installed or uninstalled when taken in for service. Cobb has made the ecu not track you when the access port is installed either.

Also these warranty voids aren't hidden, they are the first thing in the manual after the table of contents.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM

I dont think something wrong will happen to the engine or the tranny..
I am buying the car to enjoy it and have fun, I dont give a dam about stupid dealer that want to void waranttee because i was using the launch control

I will just have fun as much as i can..
Old 08-03-2008, 08:36 PM
GTR Senior Member

Seeing as LC is computerized abuse of the car and pretty much the same as side stepping the clutch on a MT car I can see why NNA wants to protect its crown jewel (despite they don't transport it like on). I believe most car companies don't want you to turn the TC off.

I believe that the tranny is $15,000 so I want mine to last a while.

Last edited by Catapult5; 08-04-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:07 PM

agree on that..
i just dont like driving the car and having in mind that someone is following me and watching my A** if i void the warrantee.. i just want to enjoy it, and offcourse not abuse it
Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 AM
GTR Senior Member

I am going to use the cobb accessport which is suppose to disable the "black box" in the GT-R but not leave any evidence that it was there when taken in for service.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Catapult5
I am going to use the cobb accessport which is suppose to disable the "black box" in the GT-R but not leave any evidence that it was there when taken in for service.
Are you serious? can we do that? where can i buy one?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM
GTR Senior Member

Originally Posted by EXTREME
Are you serious? can we do that? where can i buy one?
Beta testing for the US models is underway. JDM testing was successful.
Here's the blog to keep you updated:
http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/

You'll be able to purchase the accessports here:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/

I have the accessport for my current car and it's awesome. I expect the same for the GTR.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Features of your GTR will VOID WARRANTY